Best?
What is the best domain company out there? I am building and want to get some direction on the best steps to take.
In my opinion the best domain company is the one that sells the most names for the average domainers.

I am not talking about places like Sed- and others that have a dozen names sold a day and they are so into pay per click parking that they do not spend any money to advertise end users, to the general business owners in America.

For instance, Sed- has five million names for sale on any given day. How many sell in a day? Maybe a dozen!

That is pitiful friend.

You have no chance selling names at these places. I do not say don't try as I list my names on all of them.

I am just showing you the odds.

These big places like to report when a big priced name sells and everyone thinks selling names is so profitable. Profitable for the auction houses by getting all of us to park our names and the revenue they make from parking our names is staggering.

Where can you sell names? Nowhere!

Not one auction house I know of has a marketing plan and is spending tons of money to do what they are supposed to do, sell our names.

Sorry, that is the reality.

So until an auction house steps up to the plate and starts spending some real money on marketing you can just list your names in the graveyard of domain names (auction House) and hope you are one of the lucky ones.

Roderick
I certainly agree with Goodkarmarco. The fact is that at sites like Sedo and Afternic, there are millions of names for sale, and only a few ever get sold. I have rarely (if ever) seen an advertisment for Afternic, and have only seen advertismnts for Sedo on domain websites.

These companies have the means to reach out to new investors, but they choose to only grab results from within the already active domain community. For instance, they have good SEO, but SEO only grabs visitors from people looking for your terms, and the people looking to buy domains most probably already know about these companies.

Getting back to Kokotai's question, if you are looking to sell domain names, there generally isnt a magical marketplace that you can go to. Because of this, selling takes a lot of time, and a lot of luck. Here at Domain Social, we are doing our best to turn general investors into domain investors, however, although the design team, the mod/coding team, and myself have been working incredibly hard, we are evidently still in our infancy. With the help of each individual within our community, we hope to build a forum where supply is not that much higher than demand, and where people can help the market in general by discussing domains.
Excellant explantaion Zach, so true that they are just taking the cream off the top and not putting anything back for us everyday domainers. They should be spending millions on getting the domain concept in front of the average person, radio, magazine, billboards, tv, etc.

Then and only then will that huge amount of names start dropping and the "ching" will be heard over and over again for us.

That is the perception of selling names that got me interested in domain selling. I have names that should be selling daily. But as it is I jump and holler when a name sells as I realize how rare of an event it is.

Roderick
One suggestion might be to seek out buyers for a particular domain or site, perhaps someone in the related-industry. If you have a travel site, you might solicit some bigger established travel sites with a means of expanding.

As Zach pointed out, the current domain market is a very closed loop and misses about 99% of the potential sales market out there. A lot of webmasters are just that webmasters, and they don't know about domain speculation and the result. You could potentially do well reaching out to them with specific domains.
You know, I've never really thought about it that way. Selling a domain is more like pure sales, where you have to find your market and then educate them as to why they need your product. If you put together a good presentation with numbers and such, and you knwo the particular market, you can create buyers rather than merely find them.
That is quite the interesting explanation Goodkarmarco; one can only read and be obligated to agree with it Smile
I have always liked to use GoDaddy, guess I never really looked around for anything else.
zach Wrote:I certainly agree with Goodkarmarco. The fact is that at sites like Sedo and Afternic, there are millions of names for sale, and only a few ever get sold. I have rarely (if ever) seen an advertisment for Afternic, and have only seen advertismnts for Sedo on domain websites.

These companies have the means to reach out to new investors, but they choose to only grab results from within the already active domain community. For instance, they have good SEO, but SEO only grabs visitors from people looking for your terms, and the people looking to buy domains most probably already know about these companies.

Getting back to Kokotai's question, if you are looking to sell domain names, there generally isnt a magical marketplace that you can go to. Because of this, selling takes a lot of time, and a lot of luck. Here at Domain Social, we are doing our best to turn general investors into domain investors, however, although the design team, the mod/coding team, and myself have been working incredibly hard, we are evidently still in our infancy. With the help of each individual within our community, we hope to build a forum where supply is not that much higher than demand, and where people can help the market in general by discussing domains.

I can really appreciate that Zach and I appreciate your cander. So many folks blow smoke up your behind about what can be done and you really can get lost.
I've been using GoDaddy for some time now. Nice and simple.