Did you "buy" your blog name?
I've founf some people have blogs but are not using the free blogs available by Google and other companies, for example. I am using 2 free blogs, but I was wondering how many prefer to buy their domain and use it as a blog. Any of you here? Why didn't you use the free blogging then?
berlinlife06 Wrote:I've founf some people have blogs but are not using the free blogs available by Google and other companies, for example. I am using 2 free blogs, but I was wondering how many prefer to buy their domain and use it as a blog. Any of you here? Why didn't you use the free blogging then?

I have a Wordpress Blog and then another attached to my website. I prefer using something that I have paid for because I can decide what goes on it and what is advertised. My subject matter and advertisers don't have to fit some other grand scheme.
Yes, what I see as disadvantage is the advertising aspect of having a blog. If the blog is free (like mine) I have to comply with the people I'm having the blog (Blogger) and with the advertising (Google's Adsense).
With my blog having its own domain, my webmaster tells me that I can add keywords and meta descriptions to it. Plus, I agree SageMother in that I need to be in control of what's appearing there for advertising, and can actually sell advertising there if I choose. Both my blog and my store site begins with the phrase, "Follow Your Bliss," and are connected by links, so I figure its a double-whammy with the search engines.

Don't profess to be right, mind you, but this is my strategy regardless of whether I'm right or wrong.

Tanya
followyourbliss Wrote:With my blog having its own domain, my webmaster tells me that I can add keywords and meta descriptions to it. Plus, I agree SageMother in that I need to be in control of what's appearing there for advertising, and can actually sell advertising there if I choose. Both my blog and my store site begins with the phrase, "Follow Your Bliss," and are connected by links, so I figure its a double-whammy with the search engines.

Don't profess to be right, mind you, but this is my strategy regardless of whether I'm right or wrong.

Tanya

It is important to remember that there are many ways to reach our goals. Sometimes people get to set on "right" as opposed to "fulfilling approach".
I also have my own domain because of control and flexibility.
I'm currently using free blog software, but at some point I'm going to make the switch over to something I purchased for myself. It's just a matter of having the time to do the development, etc. I have a lot of projects going on right now, so switching over is on the back burner, at least for another month. For now, the free blogs work, although I do want more control over my own content.
I've used both the free and the blog on my own domain. In my case I just wanted everything in one place instead of spread out all over the net. Plus I could go with one design theme and use it everywhere.
That's another good thing about buying your own blog name . . . it's easier to use your own design and not a template. Meaning you're going to be guaranteed a more original look.
capitalist_junkie Wrote:That's another good thing about buying your own blog name . . . it's easier to use your own design and not a template. Meaning you're going to be guaranteed a more original look.

I guess it also depends on what are you trying to put out there, the originalty of the site or the blog, will count more or less. But I guess of there is great content and easy navigation, then maybe the tamplate has a second level importance... just my opinion, I'm not an expert!