"E-Fencing"
No, nothing can be done about it. I've been scammed for a dvd once, the same seller scammed a few other people as well at the same time (it was a new account). I only trust Sellers with atleast 15+ feedback at 100% now, its ashame.
About six years ago I watched an auctioneer grow on ebay. I saw that the auctions were getting larger and more were being posted. Everthing including feedback looked great. I bid and actually won on an extremely low bid. then came the payment email and the payment information conflicted with the posting. It had a different address. I called the Chicago Police because the street wasn't listed on mapquest. Turns out they wrote the wrong address and it was all a scam. I worked with ebay to shut down what amounted to over three hundred scam auctions from the same people.
I didn't see this article, but it is obvious that people rip people off all the time. I had a heck of a time selling the PS3 online when it was a hot commodity. There were so many people trying to scam the sale. Never sale to someone who does not have a verified address. I also, absolutely refuse to buy from anyone with negative feedback under a 10 rating.