Greetings Fellow Members
I am a 74 year old newbie, and will appreciate any help I'm offered, I'll promise to stay out of the way of you younger members (anyone under 60) and try real hard, not to be to obnoxious.

I invested several dollars in Zacks book, and several hours going through the site; I would like to thank, and congratulate him on a job exceedingly well done. The site is very well constructed and responsive, even with dialup.

The following letter, snail mailed to Why Park, LLC Willoughby, OH 44094 USA, to which I was not extended the courtesy of a reply, will serve as both my introduction, and as an opinion thread.

"Hello, my name is Wendall Dennis, though your site is very informative, before I, a 74 years old, stroke impaired man commits, an exchange of information is in order. After reading this letter, you will understand my reluctance.

Shortly before my stroke in June 2004, I had become a URL re-seller through Enom in Bellevue Washington. I, a carpenter, knew nothing about the business, other than the obvious, you can’t sell something that you don’t have, thus I began creating an inventory, and was soon the proud owner of several hundred names.

The stroke temporarily addled my thinking, while taking my equilibrium and income, thus any means of financing a sales campaign. Though I have managed to maintain about seventy names, most have expired.

My business model has since changed from sales, to the creation of a category registry, and URL rental around the term “Attention,” as in: attentionseniors.com. To this end I have registered both attentiongrabbingurls.com and attentiongrabbingdomains.com Your link was listed, under one of my names.

When I began gathering “Attention” names, the category was wide open, and almost any name was available. That soon changed, and within a few days, almost any .com name, with any possible value was no longer available. I soon learned, that if you were not ready to immediately register the name, you had better not inquire as to its availability.

Initially, any person indexing an out of service name parked with Enom, was greeted with a “who is” page, furnishing contact information to potential buyers. I had no idea that the policy had changed until a few weeks ago, when, upon indexing one of my names, I was greeted with the current “system.”

The reality that my “idea” was already being implemented by the registrars themselves; registrars with no incentive to aid in the sale of names on their pay per click registry, regardless of who owned them, was a very rude awakening, from an apparently very sound sleep.

Enom’s hosting service allowed up to fifty names to be directed toward one site, by simply creating multiple host headers. It looked like a terrific opportunity to build multiple promotional sites employing my parked names; so, several months ago I bought into it.

Thus began six weeks of constant e-mail consultations with their “technicians” in an attempt to make the system work. Though I had used real time site editing, it wasn’t available. Although MS Frontpage, my site builder was supposed to be supported, it wasn’t. In addition, it seems my ftp program, and their system wasn’t compatible; after trying two of their suggested programs, with mixed results, I gave up.

This last weekend, I traveled from Lewiston Idaho, to meet with their technicians, and perhaps find out what I was doing wrong. When a search of the Seattle area phone directory, both white and yellow pages, revealed no listing for Enom, I was floored. This is a registrar, claiming over ten million registrations, and boasting of being the number one registrar world wide, five years running.

Knowing that their website contained both their address and driving instruction from SeaTac airport, I went to Circuit City and had them open the enom.com site. The address, and driving instructions, finally led to a building in a business park with no signs announcing their presence, either inside or out.

Their “office staff” apparently consisted of a receptionist, or, more correctly, a human telephone answering service and message re-router.

Upon being informed of my desire to talk personally with Mike, the technicians with whom I had been dealing, I was told that they worked offsite, and was handed a business card bearing a Seattle phone number, but no address. Just as well; I am familiar enough with Seattle to know that I didn’t care to be anywhere near the vicinity, anywhere near 4:00, on a Friday afternoon.

Enom, now headquartered in Illinois, apparently maintains their Northwest office as a charade, with no desire to be found. But Why?

And now my questions of you.

I understand the process of switching the DNS servers, however, does this transfer my registration from Enom to your company? Are you ICANN certified? If not, who is your registrar, and how much is the annual registration fee.

In your opinion, is my planned attempt at establishing an Attention based registry and rental feasible: If so, is it compatible with your business model?

A partial list of my inventory my be viewed at http://www.4ourvote.net Your opinion of it: my plan, or anything pertaining to the industry as a whole, will be greatly appreciated. Thank you: "

Wendall Dennis
29734 Martin Rd.
Culdesac Idaho 83524
208 843 9170

Thanks Zack for the warm reception to your forum site. And Again! A Job Well Done!
Hi Wendall !

Its great to see you on Domain Social, and I am very happy to welcome you here! It always makes me very happy to learn how the Domain Ebook readers are doing, and I do my best to answer any questions to the fullest extent allowed for by my time. Feel free to get pushy with he younger members!

I am currently attending a conference in London, which has its own keyboard layout, and so I apologize for any typos in advance!

Going through your post it looks like you are experiencing many issues.

It should not be a problem to redirect multiple domains to a single site, and this can be done with practically any registrar. This can be done from the host end and the domain end (by setting your hosting account to be linked to a domain and, on the domain side, pointing your nameservers to your domain) OR only from the domain end (by simply forwarding your other domains to the address of your site). The first option is more complex and hosts usually chqrge extra to accomidate different domain names. The second option is simpler, and consists entirely of a redirect from the domain registrar - easy.. no need to buy into any plans or promotional offers with lots of small print.

As a general rule, do not host your domains at the domain registrar company. There are many reasons for this, which as you know are discussed in the ebook, and they include lower quality service and higher risk in patent infringment / misc complaint situations.

Also, dont take a registrars word on whether they are ICANN certified or not. They dont have much to lose by lying but they do have a lot to gain. Instead, I recommend you check directly with the officially published accredited registrar list at ICANN, which you can find here:
http://www.icann.org/registrars/accredited-list.html

Attention sounds interesting.. not sure how it will hold up, but I do wish you the best on it.

Welcome again to Domain Social!

Zach
P.S. ( OFF TOPIC: I just checked out your site, its very interesting and nice to see people writing about the whole 9/11 involvment, NA highway, north american union.. google the Kissinger report on depopulation ). However, I recommend that you do not mix business with politics. Keep doing what you do though, but have a seperate business site if you need one.

See you around the forum

Zach
Thanks again Zach, yea I'm a fast learner, I've already mastered the correct spelling of your name. I started back through Domain E book, after finishing Adword Arbitrage its free companion, I've a lot to learn, and all help is appreciated.

I visted London a couple of times in the mid fifties while stationed in Germany; born and raised on the plains of Texas, it and the subway in particular was quite an experience. Though 21, I had been driving cars for 6 years, and recognized little else as acceptable transportation. Needless to say, my London and your London are two different cities.

Wendall

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's up? My fellow domainers sundson2001 0 1,640 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: