Interesting Survey About Domain Registrars
Fancy a read?

Survey: Are domain registrars free-speech friendly? - page 6 | CNET News.com

My take is it's high time people start being responsible by being aware, and
being aware by being responsible. You don't want to wait for someone else
to do that for you.

Start reading your registrars' fine prints and asking questions. Don't forget
that YOU are responsible for the choices you make.
I only read the first page of the report, and read the survey that one company answered. I'm not sure if it is a problem of free speech. The hosting companies are "private" and they have the right to do business following their own rules. I'm sure there are other hosting companies, more "obscure" that wouldn't have a problem hosting anything from anybody. They are only protecting themselves.
Thanks for the link, it was a great read.

Now let me just say that I do personally get special attention from Godaddy, and they are always very kind to me and helpful. However, I do think that GoDaddy was at fault in suspending SecLists.org. The site is a cutting edge security site and offers very original and high potential content.

The complaint was filed with Godaddy from MySpace. Myspace seems to be quickly becoming the new king of trademark infringment complaints and legal disputes.
First of all they went after typos of myspace.com, now they are going after these guys? I mean come on... business is business, but there is more to society than myspace's profits (which I, incidentally, do not think are harmed that much by these minor free speech issues as by the reputation that myspace is getting for sqwashing freedom of speech).

The way I see it, Godaddy is a domain registrar. They have obligations to ICANN's pseudo trademark laws, but they do not have any obligations to MySpace in non-trademark matters.

The content hosted on the servers to which the domain names point, is external to the sphere of action of GoDaddy. In this respect it is abuse. Not legal abuse (beacuse in their terms and conditions, godaddy says that they can suspend domains without reason), but this is ethically abuse. It is also a first amendment issue and a seperation of powers issue.

Godaddy should not have done what it has done.

Zach
thanks for the link. Domain registrar companies are always trying to cheat the customers. They show that they are the best but once you register with them you get screwed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is a good domain name important? Eva520 11 7,335 02-20-2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: manoharparakh
  Why are domain names important? Williamhawk 3 5,587 01-13-2022, 07:07 AM
Last Post: harry_v
  Deciding on a domain name Shortie861 7 4,480 01-05-2022, 07:07 AM
Last Post: harry_v
  Unusual Windows AD Domain Issue JesseVoss 0 1,707 05-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Last Post: JesseVoss
  Domain change issues Rayancaleb 0 2,214 04-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Rayancaleb
  Problems with domain transfer Rayancaleb 0 1,997 04-11-2018, 07:48 AM
  Windows 10 issues after joining a domain Rayancaleb 0 2,084 02-24-2018, 10:48 AM
  Moving Domain Mail Issues Williamhawk 0 1,829 02-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Williamhawk
  SSL/TLS Domain Issue Williamhawk 0 1,959 02-01-2018, 12:42 PM
  Domain Issues Williamhawk 0 1,895 02-01-2018, 12:39 PM