LeapFish Reliability
Is LeapFish a reliable source for a quick appraisal on domain names?. Has anyone made successful sales because of Leapfish?.

I've done a few testing myself and I think its reliable enough to get a ballpark value atleast but what do you think?.

Hey Zach, if you're around can you please comment as well. Thanks. Smile
I have heard both positive and negative about leap fish, but I guess you will have that with almost anything.
Sorry, just saw this thread today.

Leapfish is two things: 1. free and 2. automated. Now I'm not usually the kind of person who would say that "you get what you pay for", but this is at least relatively true in this case.

The fact that it's automated means that it's prone to machine error. It does, however, consider many variables, such as popularity.

What does it not consider? typos... catchy phrases... intelligent plays on words.

I personally find that it has a weird way of evaluating cctlds.

To sum it up, if your domain is a .com, .net, .org, and is really objective (dosent play on words) then leapfish is pretty accurate. If you are working on a brandable domain or a catchy name, then it will most probably under-estimate the domain value.

Zach
Ok now I understand. Thanks Zach.
Well it sounds like it was well explained by Zach. I was wondering how many other places do reliable domain appraisals?
Automated appraisals can not adjust for the individual branding factors and relative popularity trend changes.
If these are automated and the domain gets undervalued, then why go there at all? It sounds like some people use them them and some don't.
Everybody wants everything for free. That is the bottomline.
Well I heard some good comments about leapfish on other big webmaster community like sitepoints. I agree rian that everyone wants free things here.Big Grin
Well if someone gave it a positive response, I would try it and see if you get good results too. The people looking for free things all the the time are always with us. I like getting good deals!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Leapfish.com gone??? DavidJames 16 11,961 12-23-2007, 12:39 AM
Last Post: GoodDomains