Makes difference?
I was wondering if it makes any difference for SEO if I register a .com or .net or .org. Would that effect my website, for example .com is more worth it for SEO? Or it would not make any difference for Search Engines if it is a .com or a .net or anything else?

Thanks for your help.
There is a lot of debate about this, but the general concensus is no.

Some SEO people say that .edu has high rankings, but Google denies this. And I believe google... .edu domains probably just have more backlinks (in general) than other extensions, because they are resource sites.

I have had number 1 rankings in search engines with .US and .WS.. which are not premium extensions in anyway..

So, I doubt that large search engines value one kind of extension more than another.
So basically you are saying that it won't make any difference as long as I do SEO right. Search Engines don't mind the extension right?

Thanks for your help.
Absolutely NO, .com .or or .info all are the same. But if u use a dash in your name than that will certainly hurt your seo efforts
Basically we get back to the point that what really matters is to have a great name, and the suffix can be .com, or .org, or any other that will get you high on Search Engines. Either that, or have a fantastic advertising campaign where people will go into your website like maniacs. I heard that anything with "Paris Hilton" is really hot on terms of "most searched" on the web... but if you don't have a name that would just come up into people's mind, then the domain doesn't have a huge value.
Well thanks for your feedback. but why would a dash hurt my SEO as mtajim said?
interesting. I have a dash in a few of mine, why would it hurt?
tcm9669 Wrote:Well thanks for your feedback. but why would a dash hurt my SEO as mtajim said?

I'm not really an expert on this, but I know for what I learned here, that when you have a dash or a number, unless you have great content that will actually get you up there, it will hurt your SEO. The name with a dash, unless it is something people are actively looking for, will not come close to the top.
I don't like dashed domains (personal choice). However, I don't think a dashed domain will hurt your SEO.

SEO isn't all about domain names anyway.
Yeah, but still I can't understand why it will hurt SEO. and yes I agree seo is not everything! my website is a PR3 without any SEO..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lawyers.com makes many forays--netinchina.org.cn WebGuru8 0 2,429 10-29-2007, 04:02 AM
Last Post: WebGuru8
  Do you have a domain developed that really makes money? berlinlife06 32 13,853 09-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Grace