Misspelled Domains
How much money do you think there is in misspelled domains?

If I misspell/mistype an URL, more often than not I get garbage. Occasionally, I get redirected to the website I was looking for. How much money do you think there is in purchasing commonly misspelled words or mistyped words and waiting around for the corporation to want to purchase the misspelling?
I think it would depend on how often the name would be misspelled in that particular way, and how important it is to the owner of the real site to ensure that customers find the correct site. When I have got a site name wrong I have sometimes found a page full of advertising, it must be worthwhile for someone to spend time creating it.
I don't know how much money would be in it. I suspect that the larger the company, the more misspellings would be covered, like in the case of Disney or Toys R Us for example.

I've definitely heard it mentioned as a strategy.
Really? I guess I knew it was a strategy by the ads, but I haven't ever heard it discussed. It does make sense too that larger companies would be more interested in buying out the domain. I bet when the internet was just getting off the ground this was big business, but not so much anymore. Most of the misspellings have probably been found by now.
Taggart Wrote:I've definitely heard it mentioned as a strategy.
I would think it is worth looking into. I know that many of the big companies have this covered but not all by far! I also think that is a smart thing to think about when you are starting your own small business.
There is (or was) a company that a friend of mine used to work for outside of Toronto that actually dealt with misspelled domain names as an entire business. It's definitely a strategy that can make money.
Good Point jazzgrrl. I hadn't thought of that, so I guess it is still a strategy worth working.

RFL1986: A whole company? Wow, I had no idea there was that much money to be made with this strategy.

jazzgrrl Wrote:I know that many of the big companies have this covered but not all by far!
Yeah I thought it was pretty interesting when I had first had of it as well. They had to spend a lot of time developing the misspelled domains (hence having an entire company) but it paid off well for a while.
Well, I guess if the misspelling is a parked domain, maybe there will not be too much money. But if you keep it and it is filled with ads, then probably there us ome money to be made!
It really depends on how common of a misspelling it would be. There's potential there if you can snatch up a really good domain, but otherwise, it could very well be a waste of your time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Google Domains pricing and supported TLDs Williamhawk 0 1,874 12-21-2017, 04:58 AM
Last Post: Williamhawk
  Which is a best TLD for country domains? fourwings 1 3,106 12-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Last Post: domainname
  Are .net and .org domains taken less seriously? Shortie861 5 4,361 12-14-2017, 12:33 PM
Last Post: domainname
  Premium .SOCIAL Domains? Williamhawk 0 1,948 11-15-2017, 05:30 AM
  Autonomous & Driverless car domains? Williamhawk 0 1,948 11-08-2017, 12:00 PM
  Google Domains pricing and supported TLDs? Williamhawk 0 1,943 11-03-2017, 12:05 PM
  Cost of renewing .com domains? Williamhawk 0 1,813 10-27-2017, 01:44 PM
  Google Domains pricing and supported TLDs? Williamhawk 0 1,652 10-26-2017, 01:05 PM
  Purchasing domains to hold Shortie861 1 2,810 03-09-2016, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Misti
  Using free domains that come with free hosting Shortie861 1 2,657 03-09-2016, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Misti