No longer allowed to smoke in France
It sounds crazy but....

For everyone who wants to smoke in public in france... well now you cant as of today. It's now illegal in order to promote a healthier population. This has raised a lot of debate in France, paticularly about the role of the government in legislating over personal freedom.
There is a 68 Euro fine for anyone smoking.

Also, the eiffel tower will be "turned off" tonight in order to promote "environmental awareness". A large proportion of the french population is also expected to turn off theiir lights and electrical devices at 7:50pm for a short amount of time.

Plastic bags will be banned soon.

Pretty big steps if you ask me

Zach
Wow, this is interesting. I wonder how it will work out. It is interesting that the ban is nationwide right away rather than working up to it through banning in restaurants, etc.
I just attened a seminar on airborne pollutants. What an eye opener to see photos of indiviuals who died and then in an autopsy, had their lungs removed.

Lungs are suppose to be pink, not black.

Just from smoking.

Really makes you stop and think what an individual does to himself when they smoke.

Interestingly, when an individual quits, the body has the ability to cleanse itself.

The lungs then return to the natural pink color. The polluted black color is expelled.

Looks like the French are protecting their people.

What about the rest of us, do we need someone to help in protecting us from the effects smoking causes?

I know there are some very smart people here, just read the cigarette pack!

If you don't take the warning to heart, I have a pier you can jump off.

DomainCroc
Maybe they need to crack down in England as well.

(17 April 2006, England) There's always someone who thinks good advice doesn't apply to him. For example, if a doctor advises that the one thing you must not do is go near a flame, as you are going to be covered wtih a flammable material, most people would take this advice onboard, and not strike a match until the flammable material has been removed.

However, Phillip, 60, knew better than his doctor.
Philip was in the hospital to treat a skin disease,
said treatment consisting of being smeared in paraffin-based cream. Philip was warned that the cream would ignite, so he definitely should NOT smoke.
But he just couldn't live without that cigarette."

Smoking was not permitted anywhere on the ward,
but Phillip took this setback in stride,
and sneaked out onto a fire escape.
Once he was hidden, he lit up... inhaled...
and peace descended as he got his nicotine fix.
Things went downhill only after he finished his cigarette,
at the moment he ground out the butt with his heel.

The paraffin cream had been absorbed by his clothing.
As his heel touched the butt, fumes from his pyjamas ignited.
The resulting inferno "cremated" his skin condition,
and left first-degree burns on much of his body.

Despite excellent treatment, he died in intensive care.

Listed in the Darwin Awards 2006
Oh my God! What a horrible story! What a painful way to die!
I am not a smoker, and I find it is a good thing that people and governments are forcing people to stop smoking somehow. My real motivator for not smoking is that my parents both did, and I hated to be still eating when I was a kid and they would be smoking already having coffee... as you can imagine, I don't drink coffee either, they are too close together! And with time, the fact that smoking is literally burning away money that goes up in smoke! Nope, not for me!
When they truly care about people's health, they'd ban cigarette production completely. Funny how people are fined if caught smoking, yet tobacco companies never get fined for harming people's health with their cancer causing product.
I read all of the posts and, though I am not a smoker, I think banning it is too extreme. Some people smoke, and some don't. I don't like anyone, more or less, for doing it or not.
Hi Grace,

I see where you checked my profile, thanks.
I checked yours as well, and saw where you are the mother of five girls.
I sure am glad you are a non-smoker.
Our children copy/learn so much from us.
We continually have to remind ourselfs that we are setting an example.

I see so many women today smoking in an enclosed car with their children inside.
It is a wonder that they have lung ailments or worse.
The second-hand smoke is proving to be just a big of an issue as smoking.
It is coming out that asthma has as it's causes in children from parent/s smoking around them.
I think sometimes of how it would be for everyone, say in an area, that just didn't smoke.
I think of the word, clean.
What word could you think of?
What would be the benefits for everyone?
On the other hand,
What would be the benefits if they all smoked?
Interesting questions.
I think that's good. It shows that they are doing something for the people and the environment.

I am a smoker but I really don't smoke in front of people. I try to hide as much as possible. Weird, but true.
Welll for the environment it's good. Now where are french people supposed to smoke? only indoors? no restaurants? no streets?...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  France Parliament shifts to open source software zach 5 4,212 12-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Last Post: echos