Plagiarism
On the internet, how can you prove plagiarism? To me it seems like there's so many articles, sentences that nothing could ever be proved. As a sometimes writer, I'd be curious to know the ins and outs
If dates that things were posted didn't prove it, then they coudl take ocmputers and see what dates articles were written. Hopefully you would use your own computer so the information would be stored. Writing styles coudl be compared. It would be pretty hard to prove.
Seems it would be by date, but I agree that it would be very difficult to prove.
I don't really know the answer but it seems there must be some history that can be tracked or traced. Hopefully, someone with legal insight can steer us in the right direction.
What a maddening problem...and one that I'm sure will only get worse and worse. (sigh)
There are a few tools, but I think they're expensive, and mostly used by schools to catch students.
We actually caught someone doing it, by just writing the first sentence on Google, and it came a whole page that showed that what we had put out was taken by someone else. It was my partner, who wrote something and then one of his friends sent it to him few weeks later, telling him that he had copied from another website. Well, turned out that the other website made the huge mistake of dating the info written by my partner. He tried to fight it, was very angry, but nothing happened! He just went balistic on his website against the other guy. And that was it.
That's really frustrating. It never occurred to me that nothing would come of the discovery. Since my primary job is in academia, any plagiarism is delt with immediately and severely.
Never had problems with it myself. I guess my writing is not very good at all. lol.

Joking aside, I think this is a very serious problem. I hope something can be done to prevent it.
capitalist_junkie Wrote:That's really frustrating. It never occurred to me that nothing would come of the discovery. Since my primary job is in academia, any plagiarism is delt with immediately and severely.

That´s what my partner was hoping for, some kind of justice, but it never happened. I had once someone quoting me in a book from an article I wrote, and I only found out through my editor! When she asked me if I had given my article to that writer, and I said I didn´t even know it, she was very mad, because by law, the magazine I wrote the article for, was the owner of it, and the author used it in her book, but never bothered to even check out with the magazine if she could use it. She didn´t quote the magazine, but at least she quoted me! Also, since the book was from Spain and the article from the USA, even though both were under the international agreements of copyrights, nothing came out of it.