Product name on domains.
Since I've been reading about the iPhone, I wonder, how proffitable can be to have a domain with specific products in the name when they are widely popular, like PS2 or PS3 or Wii? Are there legal problems for example if one registers "thePS3experts.com"? Or is there some kind of trademark law infringement? Anybody knows for sure? I'm just curious, because even though I am not really into games, I guess many domains exist already with those names of products.
There are lots of legal problems using them. One guy in S.korea was charges because he use hpmail.com and HP is trademark of Hewlet PAckard..
I think your name is yours and shouldn't be used in that manner. It should only be used by the one that owns it and has legal rights to it.
Grace Wrote:I think your name is yours and shouldn't be used in that manner. It should only be used by the one that owns it and has legal rights to it.

Which isn't always easy to resolve if one isn't aware of all available facts and
policies. But then, many problems can be avoided if one were aware of such
in the first place.
I know many sites using some trademarks in their domains and running smoothly just like many sites use google in their names and google is not preventing them to use it
eria Wrote:I know many sites using some trademarks in their domains and running smoothly just like many sites use google in their names and google is not preventing them to use it

I recently drove in a highway at 80kph because a road sign says so. But so
many people dashed ahead of me.

Does other people's behavior indicate what's illegal?

As for those other sites, it's either they've made arrangements with google
or are in the process of resolving a dispute. No one can say unless one of
the parties involved speaks up.
I was justs saying that a person doing that might run into legal problems in the future. Or it could be totally ignored too.
I think that if the website is promoting a specific brand or product, and can actually have some ads on where to buy it or find it, the company that actually provides that product should be glad they are getting the free promotion! Everybody wins! Of course, if the site has contents that are against of the company that manufactures that product, then I'd say avoid it and fight to not get your name used by someone else. Otherwise, I see it as a benefit. Am I alone in this?
berlinlife06 Wrote:I think that if the website is promoting a specific brand or product, and can actually have some ads on where to buy it or find it, the company that actually provides that product should be glad they are getting the free promotion! Everybody wins! Of course, if the site has contents that are against of the company that manufactures that product, then I'd say avoid it and fight to not get your name used by someone else. Otherwise, I see it as a benefit. Am I alone in this?

That is the main thing why they ignore those names and sites because they are doing advertisement for them (whether they like it or not).
berlinlife06 Wrote:I think that if the website is promoting a specific brand or product, and can actually have some ads on where to buy it or find it, the company that actually provides that product should be glad they are getting the free promotion! Everybody wins! Of course, if the site has contents that are against of the company that manufactures that product, then I'd say avoid it and fight to not get your name used by someone else. Otherwise, I see it as a benefit. Am I alone in this?

Well, there's always the chance the user who typed in the term/s is actually
looking for the company in question and not the site owner who's potentially
and commercially getting a free ride off their trademark.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reserved domains release raises £3m for Nominet Trust chenmeixin5678 0 4,945 10-12-2011, 03:12 AM
Last Post: chenmeixin5678
  Could i sell any of these domains? KJCioffi 10 8,509 03-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Last Post: golem
  Trademark domains mtajim 0 3,773 02-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Last Post: mtajim