Question
If I like a TV show or Anime or a movie, can I make a domain name of it?

Say I like Naruto, and I make an addy of Narutoisfun.com Do I have to have the okay of the naruto people?

HUrgoll
If you are getting it as a domain, I don't think so. Now, if you want to develop the domain into a website, and want to use pictures and story lines and stuff that is copyright then you should probably get permission from them. But you can always put that it is an unofficial website for fans of... and most likely the owners of the TV series would not mind, simply because it is a form of advertising their product. At least that's what I think.
A fansite might be a great way to get the value of the domain up without getting into trouble with the company. If you can work out an agreement to vend some of their swag, then it could become more lucrative than you first thought!
Not only that... if it ia fan based, I think you could also be making money with Google. Fans tend to click whatever shows what they are looking for and are interested. So, maybe that could be a very good investment in the long term. Good luck!
Thanks for the replies, I was feeling a little guilty if I did it at first. I mean they put in tons of work and money to make a name famous and then I add an extra word and get to use it. Didn't seem fair, but as a fansite and making them money also is okay. Smile
berlinlife06 Wrote:Not only that... if it ia fan based, I think you could also be making money with Google. Fans tend to click whatever shows what they are looking for and are interested. So, maybe that could be a very good investment in the long term. Good luck!
Are you sure about making money with Google?
Adsense?

Fan site - you are not suppose to use that site to generate any income.
If you do, TM holder can come and get you any time they wish.
Just because you see many such site doesn't mean it's ok.

At least, that's what I think.

What TM lawyers are looking for is monetizing.
People make fan sites all the time, I don't think there will be an issue as long as you give the creators recognition.
This fan site would be popular indeed. Legal too, depending how you go about it. My girls are stuck on the anime movies, and clothes. They go to utube to look at all of it.
Ardoris Wrote:What TM lawyers are looking for is monetizing.

Take note of that, folks. That's exactly what to look out for when creating fan
sites, especially if you're dealing with a trademark holder who might have a
chip on their shoulder.
Dave Zan Wrote:Take note of that, folks. That's exactly what to look out for when creating fan
sites, especially if you're dealing with a trademark holder who might have a
chip on their shoulder.

I think if you site is mostly about making moeny they would take exception, but if you just have a couple of ads maybe not?

I also think if you are starting to pull a lot of traffic your way and maybe they wouldn't like that, but if you are small they may not care.

Just thinking out loud mostly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Godaddy domain management question? Williamhawk 0 1,899 12-19-2017, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Williamhawk
  Question about .EDU domains HeatherWhite 4 4,733 11-09-2013, 07:11 AM
Last Post: milano123
  Parking question CFGDR 9 5,968 05-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Last Post: DomainAuctionsScript
  Non .com domain question attrition 2 3,322 06-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Last Post: piero0074u
  General forum question backstreetviking 5 7,125 07-23-2009, 08:38 AM