Reserving your name
hokeshel Wrote:I don't think so. I can't imagine being required to have it through governmrnt and too many people like their privacy to do it voluntarily.

The push to keep the internet as neutral as possible will at least slow that idea from taking hold.
My question is how many John Smiths would be required?
ROTFL....that could be quite a list. Well as long as the government doesn't get overly involved things will be ok. Once they get in on it is when the problames go from bad to fatal.
A lot of parents are buying their kid's domain names before they even pop out of the womb. It is also becoming a popular present at baby showers (if the child's name is already known).
I don't see that happening. There are very few people really who have their own "name" as the domain and tons of people don't have their own domains at all. I don't see any reason why they'd want to either.
Perhaps I am missing the point, but my email address doesn't contain my name and I can't imagine wanting a web address to do so either. Anyway I have a very common name so just the name wouldn't be enough to lead people to me rather than all the other people who share my name.
The necessity of having a personal domain name would dictate the real demand for such a trend... Do you really need a personal domain name? If so, go right ahead. Don't waste another minute!!!
But if you don't, why bother??? Wink
I dont think its possible for everbody to have a website,except business,company or a netpreneur
Tush Wrote:I dont think its possible for everbody to have a website,except business,company or a netpreneur

Well... isn't social networking site indirectly giving everyone their own website? While it is not something people want to enterprise I believe that is the purpose of having a website isn't it. A flow of information either your opinion or others.....

jazzgrrl Wrote:A lot of parents are buying their kid's domain names before they even pop out of the womb. It is also becoming a popular present at baby showers (if the child's name is already known).

And I think most of them would drop it after a few years..... Smile I can understand how a parent would react even before the kid is born. We are so proud to be a parent that we want them to even have their own domain name.

But as years go by..... things become different... Furthermore, when kids become teenagers... they would want their own domain identity LIKE dreamygirl.com or quickboyz.com or ziggier.com. It sounds more cool then janetandrew.com or joechampman.com hehe....

by the way... must check if ziggier.com is taken.... Big Grin
The article I read was talking about how our domain name may become a means for personal identification similar to what social networking is doing today. I am trying to relocate it - no luck yet but will post it when I find it.