Status of .org?
That's quite true; I don't know if it's intended or not, but .org does seem to give you the "feel" that it is a softer, gently website Smile
.com seems to pretty much mean commerce these days. .org more often means almost anything else!
I automatically think of sites with .org domains, that they are somekind of organisation Smile
Maybe I'm a little unusual but it's rare that I actually type a URL. Most of the time I'm clicking in through a link. If I like the site, I save the URL and return via the bookmark. So unless I make a point of checking, I usually don't know a site's domain extension and don't consider it an indicator of trustworthiness.
llegent Wrote:Ok guys, we are quite aware that google is placing more "weight" on certain domians with "trust-worthy" extension like .gov, .edu . What about .org then?? I thought it was in good eye-sight in google "weighting scale" until not long ago it was sort of spammed and flooded with "specially made for google PR" site couping up and abuse the .org extention.

So is google still placing more weight in .org extention? or no longer consider it as "trust-worthy? anymore?

Good question, and I actually never thought about that! I think .org's are much more heavily waited when searching for resource websites or websites if you are working on a school project of some sort. .gov does seem more trusted though. Actually, can you just go ahead and purchase .gov? How much more is the price than a .com?
-thoma- Wrote:I think .org's are much more heavily waited when searching for resource websites or websites if you are working on a school project of some sort. .gov does seem more trusted though. Actually, can you just go ahead and purchase .gov? How much more is the price than a .com?

Do you think that might have more to do with the topic you're researching than the way Google weights sites? I ask because there's a previous post to the effect that Google says particular extensions have no effect on placement in search results.

You have to meet certain qualifications to register a .gov domain.
In my opinion .com .net and .org will remain the strongest in the domain world. Although .org is widely used by charities and other social groups, many businesses still use the .org extension. Look at the recent sale of Boats.org selling at around $50,000

Now thats not bad for a .org
You all know the original designations for .net and such were that .net was reserved only for network systems. So you would not really have a commercial prsence on a .net but instead might have the .com for your commercial front, and then the .net address would be used for your internal network and servers and such.
I don't know about Google and being trustworthy. :-) Is there such a thing?

Anyway, most .org sites are non-profit sites. Other normal .org sites simply cannot get the .com. I do know a famous .org blog. It's rickey.org. It's a blog for AI addicts.
I´ve come across some .org, but mainly have been non profit organizations. I was surprised to see that for examplë, the highly popular "craigslist" is .org. They are expanding very much and have some features that are paid, but most of their ads are free.
Maybe is a way to have more "trust" for a company.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Status of domain purchase says problem? Williamhawk 0 1,560 10-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Williamhawk
  Pending status Ramaz 4 3,654 05-25-2008, 01:12 AM
Last Post: youthdisciple
  Status of other TLD? llegent 3 2,956 07-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Last Post: triumph