The joy of end users
End user sales are really the heaven of domainers. If you sell to resellers, you sell below potential profit (unless the reseller badly judged the true value).

Check this out, AARS.org offer history: http://www.afternic.com/bidhist.php?id=1085721

[SIZE=2]I think that you will all agree that that is well overpriced for a reseller market. A 3 character .org (and this is a 4 character) goes for only $190 (reference: http://www.3character.com/priceguide.html).

The only gamble is whether an end user will ever come. In any case, there have been countless instances of a domain being bought right after a reseller aquired it!

Zach

[/SIZE]
Zack,

Its called business. Thing is you will never know if a retailer has a potential customer waiting so its all about taking a calculated risk.

I do believe, however, that 'good domains' will eventually make it big. If you believe you have a good Domain just keep it.

Ls.
I agree. I think it's one of the gut instinct things that make some people more successful in business than other ...their instincts are more often right than wrong.
Even some not-so-good domains make it big just because the owner promotes the site so well. So go promote and advertise your site, which is 33% of it. Content is the other 66%
That is the true catch of this entire game. While all of us selling domains to each other is fun and all and even minorly profitable, the big score is getting someone outside the loop to value a domain beyond the factors we place on it.

Interesting story.
But therein lies the challenge, also. I think the only real way to sell to end users is to go directly to them, with a more or less traditional sales model. Unless you sell them on why it is worthwhile to buy your high traffic or potentially high traffic domain, they'll just get their own new one.
It is very fascinating to see how the whole labyrinth of website market has drastically evolved in the last years, nice links.
You have a great point Zach, but thats the wonderful world of business I guess. Sometimes it just doesnt make sense at all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For GoDaddy Users; Domain/Hosting Discounts AK47z 0 2,095 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: