Value for Domain Slowing Down??
Hi everyone,
I was following the July first week domain sales thru dnjournal. The top dollar sales went to :-
1. CD.com - $277,750 . Transacted via Moniker/Traffic Live Auction.
2. PrizeFight.com - $105,556 . Transacted viz Afternic .

Actually I was pretty surprise to see that CD.com went for "that" amount. Seems very low compare to all those big bucks sales in early days, which could have got over millions of dollar. So I wonder, has the general value for domains been sliding down? There is not much of craze in this virtual property compare to early days?
Every market peaks at some point, and we may be seeing it in domain names. Also to your point in another thread, these domains may get hits just because of people typing in cd.com and seeing what happens, but there's no brand recognition there either. So, is building a company name more important now?
That does seem extremely low for any 2 letter domain, let alone one with a world-wide known acronym.

It may be a sign of the times, for sure.
It would be interesting to know more about what might be attributing to a lower than expected price for the name too. Is it branding or what, do you think?
I agree that its low.

Seeing as how the dnjournal chart is only a 7 day period, it's not general enough to use as a method of measuring domain sales. If you look at the year to date chart, you will see that the top selling domain is Diamond.com which went for $7,500,000. That should reassure you. Smile
7.5 millions!! I wonder if there could possibly be a day where I also hit this jackpot!? Converted into my country currency which is 1.5x, that would be >10millions which is well sufficient to support till my grandson's university education expenses!

These days, I wonder if anyone could still be possibly reaping such rewards as an individual?? I see that most big buck domains are controlled by organisations or business entity, would there still be such opportunity for individual to hit the jackpot?
I believe that there could be an oppurtunity but it all depends on the domain doesn't it?

I'd have to think what could sell for that much. It would be lucky if for example a new music artist came out and you have a domain of their name. But what could see for that much? It seems that more general names will sell for that much such as diamond.com and cd.com.
It is so weird though.. is Diamond.com worth 7.5 million dollars?

What if you made a site called shiningdiamonds.com and then spent 7.5 million dollars marketing it.. Would you not actually be better off?
It makes me wonder what names like glitz.com, sparkle.com, etc could be worth ...or do wordplay names like that factor into the mix?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is a good domain name important? Eva520 11 7,346 02-20-2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: manoharparakh
  Why are domain names important? Williamhawk 3 5,589 01-13-2022, 07:07 AM
Last Post: harry_v
  Deciding on a domain name Shortie861 7 4,485 01-05-2022, 07:07 AM
Last Post: harry_v
  Unusual Windows AD Domain Issue JesseVoss 0 1,709 05-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Last Post: JesseVoss
  Domain change issues Rayancaleb 0 2,214 04-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Rayancaleb
  Problems with domain transfer Rayancaleb 0 1,999 04-11-2018, 07:48 AM
  Windows 10 issues after joining a domain Rayancaleb 0 2,086 02-24-2018, 10:48 AM
  Moving Domain Mail Issues Williamhawk 0 1,831 02-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Williamhawk
  SSL/TLS Domain Issue Williamhawk 0 1,960 02-01-2018, 12:42 PM
  Domain Issues Williamhawk 0 1,896 02-01-2018, 12:39 PM