Will it drive you less traffic?
Well as I can see nowadays the .com seemed to take over the market and most people are more likely to write in .com into their browser, so but let's say that you planned about a name for your company and you are going to register the .com domain, because it is the most famous, but then you find out that the .com domain has already been taken, what would you do? Change the name of the company? or simply register .net or .org or something else? if you decide to instead making a .net or so, would that mean that you will receive less hits and less traffic? or you think that it won't make any difference?
.com, .net, .org are all the big ones..once you go away from these the value of the site seems to depreciate..why ? I don't know..seems peoople trust the three I mentioned
The three are top level domains so people tend to trust it more than the others. I personally registered a .net and .org domain. I would never register a .info domain.
Well I prefer .com domains, and like you said I would never register a .info, perhaps I .net will be good too, not sure about the .org.
For me it will all depend on how much I like the domain name. If I am too attached to it, then I will get a .net or .org, and try to make my content more driven and filled with keywords to attract more traffic. But if I'm not totally set with the name, then I would probably change it to something available in .com, precisely because .com is soooo much popular. But, I am really not an expert, it is just my humble opinion!
I agreed, and I would also choose org and net as a good alternative. People do trust those two I mentioned as they would with the com.
Yeah in fact I know some people that registered a .net even though the .com was available, I thought that they were insane to do so, but well at a certain extent I agree with you both, perhaps .net would be famous too.
first i would go for cctld for that name and even if it not available then will go for .net or .biz
this is true because most people just type the name and press ctrl + enter for browsing which means .com
you can loose traffic if you are dealing with highly competetive market such as internet marting or selling nokia mobiles etc. but it doesnt matter if your company has some specific area of operation.
Isn't it funny how the domain extension went from being for organization purposes to whichever people type in the most. Originally they were meant to seperate sites.

.com for commercial sites.
.net for network, eg. forums.
.org for organization.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Easiest ways to find domains with traffic? irsan 8 6,053 08-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Last Post: steve8888
  Which tld receive more type.i traffic? except .com fourwings 1 3,212 07-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Last Post: haoping
  driving traffic to a domain flaw101 4 3,968 07-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Last Post: smarty231
  PetitionsOnline.com boosts legislation drive--Star East Technology Ltd Alao25 1 2,820 04-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Last Post: zach
  Generating traffic to my domains DavidJames 16 8,021 11-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Grace
  How much is pretty good traffic? berlinlife06 33 12,983 08-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Last Post: zach
  Traffic Blazer david47 15 7,501 03-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Grace
  Market value for Domains with type-in traffic. llegent 1 2,745 07-15-2006, 06:41 AM
Last Post: vicki2
  Traffic volume for IDN? llegent 0 2,335 07-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Last Post: llegent