.mobi is arriving!!
deelip Wrote:Great.
I heard .xxx is also coming some days ago. But dont know what happened to that.

For once the adult industry and the Bush adminsitration saw eye to eye. Neither liked the idea of .xxx, for different reasons, of course. I think the notion has been put on indefinite hold.
triumph Wrote:I see .mobi and think "Thar She Blows!". or "They Call Me Ishmael." As I mentioned above, we need a new system beyond tlds. TLDs just don't work as they are too confusing and the average visitor can't determine when a tld might be appropriate.

I knew I couldn't be the only one who saw "mobi" and thought "dick." I also can't be the only one who sees "web site" and thinks "dot com." I don't believe the average surfer easily makes the transition from .com to .net, .edu or .gov and those have been around awhile. New ones are even harder to get used to.

I'm not knowledgable enough to envision a system without top level domains, though. How do you see that working? If I wanted to visit Big Company's site I would just type "Big Company" or "http://Big Company" and that would take me to the site?
I even heard some local laypeople on the radio talking about tlds. They seemed to agree that .com was good, .net might be okay, .org as a litle confusing and the rest were worthless. These were not internet people, just average citizens. Thought it was very insightful and supported our notion about what is important.
Although I'm sure that if any new extension come, people will rush in to get alts of existing websites microsoft.xyz, cnn.xyz, etc.
You can bet.mobi will be $100 or more to register. Some of these ext. can get expensive. Anyone know for sure the price?

Roderick
Slashmire Wrote:Although I'm sure that if any new extension come, people will rush in to get alts of existing websites microsoft.xyz, cnn.xyz, etc.

Hmm. It doesn't seem likely, given some of the previous discussion, that people are going to type microsoft.xyz by mistake. I'm not sure what benefit there would be in having those domains. What am I missing?
Not likely by mistakes, but it could work on different approach. Search engines giving a result of what appears to be a real microsoft website. Or even phishing scams with fake email addresses.
I can see a great benefit to the .mobi ext. It will be for portable devices and the downloading of pictures. for instance who wouldn't want to have a nice photo of triumph?

Roderick
The registration period for trademark holders has been extended another month, till 9/22, so public registration won't open until after that. Apparently, the .mobi people didn't do a great job of outreach initially.
Well, that's not really surprising...being four letters is making the extension too long, 2-3 letters is okay Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  mobi not? Dulcinea 9 5,369 07-31-2008, 03:35 AM
Last Post: BetterOption
  .ME.UK better or .ORG;.TV.INFO.WS.MOBI??PLEASE HELP!! comment-domain 7 4,485 05-09-2008, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Takwa
  Any advice on starting a .mobi ringtone site? DavidJames 9 6,056 01-25-2008, 06:27 AM
Last Post: gsmfans
  Mobi Domain Names Lqdreamer 6 4,392 10-31-2007, 09:09 PM
Last Post: berlinlife06
  .mobi domains. Your thoughts??? DavidJames 1 2,648 10-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Last Post: mrs.tinsley
  .mobi? vesuvius 2 2,989 05-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Last Post: berlinlife06
  What's the deal with .MOBI david47 13 6,442 03-04-2007, 08:19 AM
Last Post: xtraze
  RandomMobi.com Accepting .mobi Domains DNSBroker 3 3,430 11-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Last Post: deelip
  .Mobi domains on sale now triumph 5 4,168 09-30-2006, 08:58 PM