.name violation?
I have a famous model .name domain and was wondering if it violates any laws for having this domain and parking it?
There is a new NY Bill that came out, see this thread:
http://www.domainsocial.com/legal-discus...names.html

Although it isn't clear what effect this will have on celeb names yet.
I for one have hundreds of celeb names, as well as sites set up on a
few of them to generate click revenue, and I haven't had any trouble.
Other people have been doing the same.

Zach
Excellent.
I will monetize it then for the time being.
Thanks for the info!
infernostudio Wrote:I have a famous model .name domain and was wondering if it violates any laws for having this domain and parking it?

Having problems will depend on many variables. If a site using that domain is discovered by the right folks, there could be horrendous trouble. The New York law is probably enforceable in New York alone, so that who ever uses the domain name will be vulnerable if not covered by similar laws. Also, just because something isn't a crime does not prevent losing your home and everything else through being sued out of existence. Civil actions can still take place.

Anyone using the domain would be wise to place a disclaimer on each page stating that it is not associated with the famous person.
I assume this is why so many sites name themselves as "unofficial" fan sites.

It will be interesting to see how far the New York law spreads. It reminds me of MP3 sites trying to operate in other countries where the laws aren't being enforced. I think that's on the decline too.
You folks don't even have to worry about that NY law. As long as the domain
name bears a term or even a personal name being used as a trademark, it's
likely to attract a trademark holder's attention. (or anyone else's anyway...)

The namesake can either sue under any applicable law or file a dispute with
WIPO since the .name Registry agreed to use them for such:

http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/gtld/index.html

Quote:Registries that are restricted to certain purposes also provide special proceedings to resolve disputes concerning compliance with their respective registration restrictions.
  • .aero
  • .asia
  • .biz
  • .cat
  • .coop
  • .info
  • .jobs
  • .mobi
  • .museum
  • .name
  • .pro
  • .tel
  • .travel
For what it's worth: Years ago I started a website on our local, and very very corrupt, schoolboard. One of the things that kept me from being sued was the word "unofficial". That and truth is an absolute defense.