.net
Are these being used for anything other than duplicates for trademark names? I'm not even sure what they were intended to be used for. Too close to .org.
Yes, I have seen websites (yet, only a slight minority) that exist solely on the .net. You can have a brief description on it over at wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.net
If you have a good .net name and a well developed site, do you think you would get a better PR due to the fewer number of .nets?
Paula62 Wrote:Are these being used for anything other than duplicates for trademark names? I'm not even sure what they were intended to be used for. Too close to .org.

The Wikipedia article Slashmire referenced said .net is often treated as a second .com. That's pretty much how I've always thought of it, it was what you used if your desired name wasn't available. That and some smaller ISPs use .net for their domains.
Paula62 Wrote:Are these being used for anything other than duplicates for trademark names? I'm not even sure what they were intended to be used for. Too close to .org.

Since so many .coms are used up, I guess they made it for having the opportunity to make more domains.
Yeah true, I don't think everyone wants to be some sort of clone or scammer; they just wanted the name.
I think .com has so saturated our brains that anyone using .net as their site tld will have a lot of frustrated customers who are automatically typing in .com
That's quite true; I wonder how one could "prepare" his customers or prospective customers into teaching them to use the ".net" extension :\
I have never used .net but if I would buy one, it would be for a resource website. I just find that .nets suite resource websites much better.
-thoma- Wrote:I have never used .net but if I would buy one, it would be for a resource website. I just find that .nets suite resource websites much better.

I would go for a .com aswell. .nets are not "known" yet (typo) Smile