.net is okay?
I thought of a very good name for my online business. I checked whois but .com is already taken. I checked the actual site and it's just a parking page. I really want the name I came up with and I want to get the .net one. Do you think this will be bad for my business? It's just a micro business btw.
I think if you have the name and it is a good name, then you´ll probably get traffic! the thing is that maybe the other sites will get it first, becaue people usually don´t use .net unless they know already and are looking for the site specifically. I am not an expert, but I am a net surfer. That happened to a TV channel I always check out. When I typed .com it was lost. So I went to google asking for the name, and found that the name was .net but it was listed 6th on the first page. I wish you the best!
I'm attached to the name. I don't know why. I can't get it off my head. I might make a bad decision...but what the heck?

Thanks so much berlinlife06.
.net is fine.
You can see many results with .net domains in the top of search engines.
If a person chooses a name and really wants to use it, even if .com or some other suffix is taken, I think they should go for it. How your page gets visited and how often is really going to depend on how you go about promoting. Check out the other domain suffixes that might be taken and see what they actually are. If the business in those domains is not similar to what yours is, then chances are their keywords are going to be different anyway. If they are similar, then use your advertising wiz brain to promote and be suggestive of the right products and quality to the most effective ends. Also if they are similar, make sure that when you promote your site on business cards, newspaper ads, telephone book ads, that you do it very clearly indicating what your web address is. Print it large enough and in a visible way so that people have less chance of getting confused.
I bought the .net domain already. I can't just let it go. I'll probably go insane. :-) Anyway, thanks sooo much for all the advice.

Ever had an experience like this?
I think if you are targeting the search engine traffics then you must register .com domain. Other wise other extension also ok. If you have certain customers or visitor, like if you have a school and the visitors are only from your school then even .info is ok. Dont you think so?
I have a .net and have no problem at all with it. Even after you get the .net you could always try and buy the .com off of the owner and just redirect everything to the new domain.
But that can not be easy thoma.
If you have .net domain then you cant expect less for .com domains. I mean that can be really expensive. Specially if your site is developed and quite famous.
Do you mean that .net domains are cheaper, or .com domains?

Why is there a disparity in price?