.net to jack up prices?
I may have my facts wrong, as I am out of it right now, but I was seeing something recently where .net domains and maybe some other .tlds will no longer be set in a price, and they can indivudally charge people by domain anything they want.

So if I had domainsocial.net and was paying $9.00 a year, they could say, you know what, we think that name is worth $10,000 a year so that is the new price for renewing/registering it.
oh gosh, I hope you're wrong, that woudl be horrible for the whole internet. It woudl basically be like rent instead of ownership, and that's wrong wrong wrong for this medium.
Well, it's not like I'm running after those news...but this seems rather bizarre; I do not see how this can work well...hopefully more on that in the following days...
Well hopefully it does not end up happening. It could only be a bad thing.
I found this article that talks about it. As I understand it, there is no currently announced plan to change the pricing, but under the new ICANN contract, it would be possible - but not required - for pricing to be different for each domain name.

ICANN Confirms: Tiered Pricing Not Forbidden in New .BIZ, .INFO and .ORG Contracts
I also heard about this in another forum, but its most probably just talking... Smile
Hmm...I wonder if that'll ever happen. I guess companies could go and check every site's bandwith and charge them differently...but seems weird.
Ok, that's pretty scary. I'm not going to stay up nights worrying about it or anything but I am going to keep my ears open.
Plumley Wrote:Ok, that's pretty scary. I'm not going to stay up nights worrying about it or anything but I am going to keep my ears open.

I dont think you need to worry Smile It wont happen I think!
tshugo Wrote:I dont think you need to worry Smile It wont happen I think!

There seem to be two camps on this one - one that says its not likely to happen, and the other that says <shrilly and hysterically>, "they snuck this in tot he contract language, and it must have been for a reason, and they're conspiring to screw all the little guys!"

Personally, after having checked this out, I think that one day we may very well see some type of tiered system, but it will happen avery slowly and will be tied to other benefits. There are just too many registrars out there for anyone to stick their neck out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The prices shocket me! berlinlife06 9 4,583 03-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Last Post: Grace
  Why the Variation in domain suffix prices? Domaineer 3 2,895 01-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Last Post: berlinlife06