Domain Social Forums

Full Version: Looking for free software
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everybody! I´m looking for the software that works like Microsoft Office, but you can find it free on the net. What is the name of it? Thanks for your help!
Thank you so much! I´ll look into it with that name. The thing is for my mom that doesn´t really need something too fancy. Thanks!
Star Office
It's same stuff as Open Office, but, it suppose to contains some additional features.
I don't know what additional features are, though Wink
Thank you. I never heard of Star Office, but I´ll check it out too. I downloaded the Open Office, but haven´t used it yet to see how does it work. Thanks again!
Open Office is great. It comes with most distributions of Linux now, but ofcourse it also works on Windows. Open office is always free (and open source).

As far as I am aware, Star Office used to a commerical venture by Sun Microsystems.. as in, you used to have to pay for it. I just checked out their site, and it does cost around $70.

BUT, Google is iving away free versions in their Google Pack:
http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_inst...l=en&gl=us

Im not sure if it's exactly the same version, but in any case, it's free.

Zach
I didn't realize that Google Pack included word processing software.

I got a really good price on Microsoft Office through a program where my wife worked.

Thanks for the information. Cool
berlinlife06 Wrote:Hi everybody! I´m looking for the software that works like Microsoft Office, but you can find it free on the net. What is the name of it? Thanks for your help!
[URL="http://www.openoffice.org/"]
Open office[/URL] handles just about everything. I have been using it for several months now and am seriously impressed. Try it out!
SageMother Wrote:[URL="http://www.openoffice.org/"]
Open office[/URL] handles just about everything. I have been using it for several months now and am seriously impressed. Try it out!

yeah i absolutely agree.

At the moment I research internet issues and the Domain Name System for the University of Paris Sorbonne in France. The university is a public university (as are all universities in france), and the minister of education published guidelines about how research should be handed in to the university administration, and also how student-researchers should hand in their work: You HAVE to use Open Office!

If you don't use Open Office, and you use, say, MS Office, the work isn't accepted. :pinch:

I personally think it's great, becuse it encourages people to use free software, instead of promoting Microsoft's business interests.
berlinlife06 Wrote:Hi everybody! I´m looking for the software that works like Microsoft Office, but you can find it free on the net. What is the name of it? Thanks for your help!

Does she use the net? I use thinkfree and basecamp and byteswap and I few others. (I like to play around with sites)

If she uses a sites like thinkfree and has a problem you can log on the net where you are at and help her. That part is cool.

Hurgoll
I think is great to promote the free software and avoid Microsoft Office so much. I am thinking of installing it on my computer too!
My mom is happy that she has what she needed without paying!
Pages: 1 2