Domain Social Forums

Full Version: Torrent Site Hosting?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone, good day to you.Smile
Ok, with the much "prohibited" torrent activities, I wonder why there still be some hosts willing to host sites that run torrent related activities?!:confused: WOuldn't they be worried that they might just invite some potential legal issues?? such as copyright infringement, if their client download illegal copy of movies, music..etc??

I am puzzled as to the reason of them willing to take the risks??:eek:
I think that most of them would consider it none of their business. Afterall, the Torrents are not hosted on a server anywhere, they are shared peer-to-peer. They aren't hosted on the website either and simply talking about Torrents or having links to torrnets hosted elsewhere doesn't sound illegal to me. Even if it is....I think that the copyright people are after the actual hosts, not websites out there just talking about stuff.
There is a lot more on bittorrent than warez.

I think that if someone is going to pay a host for torrent hosting, they probably aren't going to pay to contribute to the warez scene. It would most probably be to just share a large file. I did this recently with a video that I took at a conference on digital rights. The video was around 800mb, and if I were to host it using traditional webhosting, I would have huge transfer charges.

Like sub-zero said, even if people did upload copyright infriging files, the host would only really need to seed it for a month (or until people start sharing it themselves).
I agree that Bit Torrent has some real beneficial users outside of illegal files. That is why it is important that people like the RIAA and MPAA don't destroy it before its potential is fully realized.
torrents are a great way of distributing any promo videos or white papers besides going the usual route of press release via prweb.com or submission to article directories like articlecity.com.

it truly is a viral distribution channel!
!! Holly god! I didn't realize there is indeed some benefits in BitTorrent! Well, having heard all the news about copyright infringement via torrent activities, I was just having the perception that torrent is not good.

So, there are always positive & negative side, all depend on how end-user utilize it...Cool
llegent Wrote:!! Holly god! I didn't realize there is indeed some benefits in BitTorrent! Well, having heard all the news about copyright infringement via torrent activities, I was just having the perception that torrent is not good.

So, there are always positive & negative side, all depend on how end-user utilize it...Cool

In any case, I think that P2P networks, such as bittorrent, might be illegal. According to the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, tools that MIGHT circumvet copyright mechanisms are illegal (even if they arent used for copyright infringment). A similar law passed a few months ago in france called the DADSVI (I attended a conference on this). I think it is very wrong to block methods to access legitimate data just because someone might use it to share copyrighted music or videos. Imagine baning the use of your 'hands' because you could choke someone with them. lol. Sad
p2p criminal infringement applies to material which infringes on copyright.

if you have good quality content distributed via bittorrent and have backlinks to your site, dont be surprised to see a couple of hundred seeds and tons of traffic coming to your site, especially if you have very desirable and relevant content.
The new companies actually hosts such site.
A new company here was ready to host a stolen vbulletine forum . I think the site is already out. They need some sites to start so they host whatever comes.
Well established hosting companies do not host such sites.
So only the new companies host these sites and not the well established ones. That tells you why they are staying away from these contacts that are illegal.
Pages: 1 2