Domain Social Forums

Full Version: To Zach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

THANKS ZACH,
I ALWAYS ENJOY READING YOUR NEWSLETTERS. BUT THIS LAST ONE WAS THE BEST! "DOMAIN SNATCHING"! AS INVESTICA2008, I RECENTLY BROUGHT THIS SUBJECT FORWARD IN THE LOUNGE, WITH A THREAD UNTITLED "WHO WOULD KNOW?".IT SEEMS THAT DOMAIN SNATCHING IS NOT "NEWS", BUT AS A NEW DOMAINER IT WAS MY FIRST WELL LEARNT LESSON. IT SEEMED OBVIOUS TO ME AT FIRST GLANCE THAT REGISTRARS ARE PRIVATE CORPORATIONS AND NOT GOVERMENT RUN, LIKE THE U.S. TRADEMARK/PATENT OFFICE, ALTHOUGH THEY SOMEHOW PLAY THE SAME ROLE WHEN "SECURING" YOUR DOMAIN REGISTRATION. THUS SECURING THE INTERNET "FIRST COPYRIGHT" OF YOUR DOMAIN NAME. THE INTERNET BUSINESS IS BIG BUSINESS. AND LIKE IN ANY OTHER BIG BUSINESS, THERE ARE THIEFTS AND SPIES AND CROOKS AROUND EVERY CORNER OF IT! THAT TOO IS NOT "NEWS". AFTER 3 WEEKS NOW BEING A "NEW DOMAINER", I CAN SEE THAT NOT "TOO MANY" DOMAINERS ARE MAKING MONEY, COMPARED TO THE AMOUNT OF DOMAINS REGISTRED. OBVIOUSLY AGAIN, THE DOMAIN REGISTRATION MARKET MOSTLY APPEARS TO BE ONLY A "VANITY MARKET". YES! DOT NAMES ARE MAKING MONEY. AND YES, SOME OF THOSE DOT NAMES RESELL FOR MILLIONS ON THE AFTERMARKET. SO EVERYBODY IS TRYING TO FIND THAT GOLDEN NUGGET DOT . NAME, INCLUDING ME. I WOULD CALL IT "THE INTERNET DOT GOLD RUSH". AT THE END, AND AS A RETIRED LINGUIST, I JUST WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT IT NOT THE $1MILLION WORD THAT WILL MAKE YOU RICH, BUT THE WAY YOU USE IT.

LET'S ALL BE "DOT.WISE" FIRST!
:whistle:

INVESTICA2008@DOMAINSOCIAL
WOULD YOU please STOP USING ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! i HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE SAYING SINCE i CAN NOT READ YOUR POST.

NO SIR. I WILL NOT STOP USING CAPITAL LETTERS, AS IT IS EASIER 4ME ON THE SCREEN.
YOUR SENIOR MEMBER REQUEST IS SIMPLY PURE NON SENSE AND ABSOLETEl
WHAT IS UR ANSWER ANYWAY PAL! CAN'T U READ BETWEEN THE LINE OR IS IT TO STONG 4U TO FIGURE OUT SOMETHING BETTER?
Cool
Hi,

There are a few registrars and sites, who do not snatch domains.
http://www.name.com, http://www.estibot.com and their friends are as good as Government setups. You can safely check a name's availability and come back after a few days to find it is still available. To find out whether a registrar is safe, try registering a name that has a well known trademark in the name, something like say "Yahoo123456.com"; if the registrar rejects it, they are safe to deal with. And if they register it, you know if they can violate a highly popular trademark, what they would do to you!

You mentioned being a linguist. So dear Sir, I request you to go through my posts and please let me know your opinion on my domain names. Incidentally, I am sure, I just stumbled on to a golden nugget - http://www.iPhoneSet.com - what do you say?

Another thing. I guess you are new to the internet communications too. In this domain, writing all capital letters is akin to shouting! To make it easier to read it would be nicer to use a larger font size than using ALL CAPS.

Thanks and regards,

Thank you for your kind reply. What you mention makes a great deal of sense. One is never too cautious. I will follow your suggestion and see what happens.

Your suggested domain name is great. I am actually working on a similar one. Once I have it registered I will send it to you for mutual reference. May I ask what you intend to do with it now? As I see it, any domain name can be great and even greater. But its real value lies in the use you intend for it. A "small" ordinary domain name can be very valuable if the owner uses it well. By contrast a "great" name (linguistically speaking) can become useless if the owner does'nt know how to market it. Personally, I don't rely on the "resale" value of my domains. I create them for an intented and specific market use whereby people will be attracted not only by the name itself, but by its usage I offer to them (like a great, exciting, dynamic, colorful, innovative, people-friendly useful website to which they like to come back to).

Having said that, I apolosize if my capital letters offended anyone. The only reason why I use capital letters is to help my poor sight on the screen, as I force myself not to use glasses.

Let's keep in touch Itsri!

Rolleyes
Hey... where did all the capital letters go? just kidding with you.

I have to agree with you. It's not ONLY the name, but its how you use it. But, in keeping with the same analogies, longer is not better Wink You make a valid point, but names do have intrinsic value in themselves. The price of domains is based on that intrinsic value.

Making a website successful is perhaps a much more important job than choosing a good domain, but choosing a good domain helps get you there part way.
Thanks david443ffor your gold game invitation. Unfortunately, I have no interest whatsoever in internet games. The only "game" I play on my PC is with my Microsoft Flight Simulator.

:whistle:
Hi
I wonder if anyone can recommend a Domain development company?
I have a couple of names that need professional promotion and am willing to
give a high percentage of advertising revenue reieved to whoever can do this for me.

Regards

El Cid
My close friend here in Thailand has the No 1 website ranking in Thailand. He is a developper and has his own server in the U.S. He is on holidays right now, but I can get him to be in touch with you when he return.
Smile