Domain Social Forums

Full Version: Becoming domain registrar??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok guys and gals,
I am considering to ofer domain registration for my members after numerous requests. But I am looking as a thrid level domain registrar only. so how do I actually go about it?? Does it very complicated and the cost involved is hefty??

For example, like uni.cc , .com.ru ...etc. So that my member could register a third level domain like "member.uni.cc" something like that.

ANy guide is much appreciated. I am totally new in this area.
Hey i am also needing same kind of information.
I wanted to do something with .np domain. .np refers my country nepal.
But some people said me thats really hard to do. Thats too much expensive.
That makes three of us....anyone out there willing to help?
Nice idea! And the investment cost is:

$7~ for the domain name only Smile

It's all apache and php or can be asp development.

Apache is main concern.
kokotai Wrote:That makes three of us....anyone out there willing to help?

Lets say four....Anyone have any idea/info?
I don't know if you want to become a registrar yourself. That is a pretty involved and expensive process. You might look at some of the registrars, though, that let you set up as white label resellers. You esentially re-sell the domains but it is all transparent to the customer and they think they are buying it from you directly. I think Enom offers this and some other registrars as well.
Gurpartap Wrote:Nice idea! And the investment cost is:

$7~ for the domain name only Smile

It's all apache and php or can be asp development.

Apache is main concern.

For this post I mean to provide services like uni.cc does Smile
llegent Wrote:Ok guys and gals,
I am considering to ofer domain registration for my members after numerous requests. But I am looking as a thrid level domain registrar only. so how do I actually go about it?? Does it very complicated and the cost involved is hefty??

For example, like uni.cc , .com.ru ...etc. So that my member could register a third level domain like "member.uni.cc" something like that.

ANy guide is much appreciated. I am totally new in this area.

Hey guys, i just saw this post, sorry I didn't reply earlier.

Becoming a registrar is a rather long process. Since everything goes through ICANN now-a-days, you will have to apply directly to ICANN. There is an application fee of $2,500. Paying this fee does not mean that you will get accredited as a registrar, but it DOES mean that you just lost $2,500, as it is non refundable.

For the full process, check out ICANN's application form:
ICANN | Registrar Accreditation: Application

If you want to sell domains, I suggest that you just become a reseller from GoDaddy or another company. Then you have very few expenses.
Hi it's me again,
Quote:There is an application fee of $2,500. Paying this fee does not mean that you will get accredited as a registrar, but it DOES mean that you just lost $2,500, as it is non refundable.
emm...seems like a heavy investment for me now. Not advisable at the moment...yet.

Gurpartap Wrote:For this post I mean to provide services like uni.cc does Smile
This is the option I am going right now. Just that one of the barrier is to get a shortest possible domain name so the sub-domain would not be too long.

Well, those 3character domain names are no longer available unless I buy it from someone ealse which would mean paying higher price of more than $10 each (in most cases the price would be much higher). In these scenario, I think the best bet for me is to do more research to get hold of a 4characters domain name...hopefully.:o

Wishing myself good luck..I need it.:p
Oh I see what you mean

It shouldnt be too hard to get this to work. Many companies do this (I remember that even back in 1998 I got my site redirected through a shorter URL by a service like this). There is probably some script out there that manages this. I would suspect that you either need your own server, a dedicated server, or a really flexable reseller hosting account in order to get this working.

If you just want to host subdomains, you are not becoming a registrar. So you don't have to pay icann in order to become one.

You obviously need to find a domain which is attractive to the user... I don't really see the appeal of yoursite.uni.cc, but I might be missing something. Why not stick to .com, it shouldnt incur more expenses..

Zach
Pages: 1 2