Domain Social Forums

Full Version: registration vs hosting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Do you use the hosting services of your registrar, or do you make separate decision on a registrar and a hosting service?
My registrar doesn't provide the type of service I need, so mine are separate. I like to shop for deals and probably would have done it that way anyway.
Paula62 Wrote:Do you use the hosting services of your registrar, or do you make separate decision on a registrar and a hosting service?

I use seperate aswell. My registrar doesnt have much space avaliable and so on.
So is this the most popular of choice to use separate, or does it depend?
I would *NEVER* recommend registering with your host. The main reason is if there is a dispute with your hosting bill, they could potentially take your domain hostage.

It is just not smart to do it, even if the risk is minimal, it is better to keep them seperate. If you end up in a dispute or issue with your host you can easily move your site.
triumph Wrote:I would *NEVER* recommend registering with your host. The main reason is if there is a dispute with your hosting bill, they could potentially take your domain hostage.

It is just not smart to do it, even if the risk is minimal, it is better to keep them seperate. If you end up in a dispute or issue with your host you can easily move your site.

Triumph, I would never have thought of that. The first few sites I did, I picked a host and then registered with them because it seemed the simplest thing to do, and I didn't really know much difference between registrars at the time. But you bring up an excellent point.
Yes that is good advice; it would be very harsh or possibly bizarre to see your host do such things, but I guess that preventing is better...
I usually use 2 differen't companies. I mean, if the domain is cheaper with one host, I would do it. I have been using a lot of free hosts so I usually need a seperate hosting and domain.
-thoma- Wrote:I usually use 2 differen't companies. I mean, if the domain is cheaper with one host, I would do it. I have been using a lot of free hosts so I usually need a seperate hosting and domain.

Yeah, if the registrar is cheaper i would also go for that. But I havent seen that yet. Anyone? Smile
tshugo Wrote:Yeah, if the registrar is cheaper i would also go for that. But I havent seen that yet. Anyone? Smile

Hmm, doesn't godaddy or hostgator do that? I cna't remember though. Doesn't go-daddy give you a domain for like 1.99 if you purchase hosting from them? I'm not too familiar with go-daddy so I wouldn't know.
Pages: 1 2