Domain Social Forums

Full Version: How much is a lot? A little?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is there a list of benchmarks somewhere to help folks figure out how much storage, transfer and bandwidth they need in a host? Like, for example, a list that would say "20 MG of storage would give you x pages, x photos or x videos"

Or "If you expect X number of visitors a day, you need X amount of transfer"
I always had the same problem at "estimating" how much I would need. What you could try, is start with the lowest package, and gradually upgrade if need be.
Slashmire Wrote:I always had the same problem at "estimating" how much I would need. What you could try, is start with the lowest package, and gradually upgrade if need be.

Maybe thats the way to go. Or you can think if you want to store lots of pics/files on the webpage, or how much traffic you really will get.
My guess is that it's probably a hassle downgrading instead of upgradings. Companies will have a hard time making you pay less, but will welcome you paying more Smile
Paula62 Wrote:Is there a list of benchmarks somewhere to help folks figure out how much storage, transfer and bandwidth they need in a host? Like, for example, a list that would say "20 MG of storage would give you x pages, x photos or x videos"

Or "If you expect X number of visitors a day, you need X amount of transfer"

You could probably work it out yourself:

To find storage, just find the average file size and multiply it by the number of those files you think that you will have.

To find transfer, just multiply the average file size by the number of those files you think will be downloaded every month.

For instance, if you have a photo site, and each photo is about 200k, and you have a thousand photos, you will need roughly 200k*1000 = 200,000k = 200MB.

If you have three hundred visitors downloading 1 photo each, then you need 200k*300=60,000k = 60 MB in transfer

If each visitor downloads two photos each, 200k*2*300=120,000k = 120 MB in transfer

Get it?
This is one reason I'm with godaddy on the deluxe package, you get your money's worth, and over double or more space and bandwidth then other top competitors offer.
Sounds like 1&1 when you try to downgrade or even leave their hosting service. They never seems to let you cancel your hosting plan properly. For some reason it just isn;t has easy as the stuff that would give them money. I wonder why... ;-)
Mesoc Wrote:This is one reason I'm with godaddy on the deluxe package, you get your money's worth, and over double or more space and bandwidth then other top competitors offer.

I am please with GD as well. My mainsite is with them
I think that is something you find out yourself. With our website, my partner is in charge and he is the one that has been dealing with all those things, but he is more into getting little first and then upgrading.
What is the minimum specs needed for a forum with about 150 members.
About 15-20 members logs in daily and also getting a lot of visitors (30 per day or more)

How much space and Bandwidth needed for me ?
Pages: 1 2