Domain Social Forums

Full Version: Embedding video?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I see more and more websites using embeded video from YouTube. I like the fact that they don't have to leave your site to see it. And it also brings in traffic depending on what they are looking for. What is your opinion about it?
I love youtube so muchhhhhhhhhhhhh. LOL And the embedded video or hyperlink option is wonderful. I have heard discussion over and over it will become a pay site, I sure hope not. I am still grieving over the death of Napster (as we knew it when it was created) hehe.
I use video from various sources. It is a high traffic draw.
berlinlife06 Wrote:I see more and more websites using embeded video from YouTube. I like the fact that they don't have to leave your site to see it. And it also brings in traffic depending on what they are looking for. What is your opinion about it?

I think that embedded video, like Youtube, might become a necessity to keep your traffic ratings high. I read an article last week stating that Nielsen/Netratings is expected to change their ranking focus from number of visits to the length of each visit. Using that structure, Google falls in behind AOL in overall ratings.

Just be careful what you embed from YouTube. Considering quality and relevance will be important. This also means that hosting your video clips on YouTube and then embedding them in your own site is an acceptable use of YouTube's bandwidth. So much for hotlinking restrictions.
Newsroom is a very good option and you can constuct your own custom feeds.
tater03 Wrote:I have been seeing this alot also. I think it is a great idea and love it. But I do think that it will eventually become a pay site as it gets bigger. Not that it already isn't big but I just don't see it being for free for much longer. I hope that I am wrong though.

They generate income from ads and they are handing out residuals and awards. This seems to support them staying free.
tater03 Wrote:I have been seeing this alot also. I think it is a great idea and love it. But I do think that it will eventually become a pay site as it gets bigger. Not that it already isn't big but I just don't see it being for free for much longer. I hope that I am wrong though.

I think you are right about it becoming a pay site. I imagine they will begin limiting the types of videos can be loaded as well.
tater03 Wrote:I do get that they generate money from the ads but I just cannot see them keeping it free when they are getting so many users. But I guess we shall see. I am just the type of person where people are looking for the quickest way to earn money and making people pay for the site would do that.

If they go to being a pay site then they will lose AP and Reuters which prohibit reselling of their materials. AP and Reuters supplied over a third of they feeds.
aquariancore Wrote:If they go to being a pay site then they will lose AP and Reuters which prohibit reselling of their materials. AP and Reuters supplied over a third of they feeds.

If you watch what companies usually do, you see that they offer something free for a while, get a nice group of people hooked and dedicated, then start adding fees. They start with small fees to try not to scare off those who are paying attention, and pretty soon the company is making 10 times what they were making originally, and they haven't lost that many customers in the process.
SageMother Wrote:If you watch what companies usually do, you see that they offer something free for a while, get a nice group of people hooked and dedicated, then start adding fees. They start with small fees to try not to scare off those who are paying attention, and pretty soon the company is making 10 times what they were making originally, and they haven't lost that many customers in the process.

As I posted if they do that they will be violation of contract provisions of a large portion of their sources. The have added Wall Street Journal and other several others that prohibit any form of reselling or fee based distribution of their product through second party. To lose all these sources would virtually shut them down.
Pages: 1 2 3