Domain Social Forums

Full Version: having email account and changing dns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hello

if i got a domain and bought hosting with email account on godaddy, and i changed the dns, the email account will be deleted??

thanks
Hi

As far as I am aware, email does not go through the DNS server. It is routed through the Zone File and MX records. So you should be able to access your email, even if you change name servers. Godaddy might have a special system in place but I doubt.

If you dont have a lot of email, then why not try it? If your email account gets deleted, they will set it up for you again.

On another note, if you are changing your DNS servers to point to a hosting company, you should be aware that hosting companies almost always provide email with your account. You shouldnt pay twice (godaddy and your host).

Zach
yes thanks alot
but i'm afraid that godaddy delete my hosting account at all

do u get me?
hi

I just looked it up. You definately need to set your Mail Exchange (MX) Records.

Here is what you need to do: you need to redirect your MX records at your HOST to point to godaddy.

Update your DNS zone file entries as follows:

MX Modifications:
MX 0 - smtp.secureserver.net
MX 10 - mailstore1.secureserver.net

Cname modifications:
Map mail.XXXInsertDomainHereXXX to pop.secureserver.net
Map email.XXXInsertDomainHereXXX to email.secureserver.net

You may have to wait for up to 48 hours for this change to take effect.

Why do you want to change DNS? hosting or parking?

Zach
A support person will walk you through the process at go Dad.
thanks very much for these useful information
i want to change the dns to park it in another site, for example sedo, since it is free
tantaf Wrote:thanks very much for these useful information
i want to change the dns to park it in another site, for example sedo, since it is free

That makes everything MUCH easier.

Most domain parking companies offer two methods to park your domains. The first (that you are aware of) is switching the DNS. The second is forwarding the domain, and leaving the DNS intact.

Don't change your DNS. Instead, just forward your domain from your godaddy control panel.

If you use sedo, forward your domain to:
http://www.sedoparking.com/DOMAIN.COM

and change "DOMAIN.COM" to your domain.

That should still get your email working.

Zach
yes it works,
thanks alot
Interesting to know these little details of the trade!!! For me sometimes things seem to be very difficult... others, not so easy! yeah... I know... everything looks a bit difficult!
tantaf Wrote:yes it works,
thanks alot

my pleasure.

happy it works

Don't mind berlinlife, he's just generally pesimistic about these things lol Rolleyes

Zach
[url=http://www.domainsocial.com/members/berlinlife06.html][/url]
Pages: 1 2