Domain Social Forums
Our Spam Prevention - Printable Version

+- Domain Social Forums (http://www.domainsocial.com)
+-- Forum: Domain Names (http://www.domainsocial.com/Forum-Domain-Names)
+--- Forum: Announcements (http://www.domainsocial.com/Forum-Announcements)
+--- Thread: Our Spam Prevention (/Thread-Our-Spam-Prevention)

Pages: 1 2

Our Spam Prevention - zach - 09-01-2006

What's up?

Yes, it is hitting Domin Social too.

Many users are signing up for the sake of just advertising their names or services, whilst not contributing to the community. A few spam bots were identified (it's funny, one was stuck trying to sign up).

So what have I been doing?

Well, the bots have been banned and deleted.

More importantly, there are now post requirements for the Market Place section (this is where the majority of the spam has taken place). Members must have at least 15 posts before being able to create a thread.

Finally, we will be merging with another forum soon (no more details can be released at this time, but it will definately add to our community). So the new members who will be joining us from the merge and the new posts will need some more staff members.

If you contribute often to Domain Social and have a high post count, feel free to contact me via PM or email to be a moderator.

Our Spam Prevention - triumph - 09-03-2006

Sounds good. Unfortunately forums are just magnets for spammers these days. I had one underused forum I did not check on for some time and I was shocked when I had to go in and clean things up.

I think I literally purged half the userbase.

Our Spam Prevention - Slashmire - 09-05-2006

That's good to hear. Have you shown those rules on the signup page...I'm just skeptical that new members may not read it if it's not shoved in their face.

Our Spam Prevention - zach - 09-05-2006

Slashmire Wrote:That's good to hear. Have you shown those rules on the signup page...I'm just skeptical that new members may not read it if it's not shoved in their face.

They are in the marketplace rules now. Also, we implimented a hack that will prevent new users from posting in the marketplace if their post count is under 15 posts. So even if they tried, they would be told then too Smile

Our Spam Prevention - tshugo - 09-07-2006

zach Wrote:They are in the marketplace rules now. Also, we implimented a hack that will prevent new users from posting in the marketplace if their post count is under 15 posts. So even if they tried, they would be told then too Smile

Yeah, I guess the hack will filter out most of the bots/spammers.

Our Spam Prevention - andreww38 - 09-08-2006

well you can see the appeal of forums though.
i've been in a couple where individual threads have PR5 or PR6 rankings.

i was frankly, quite shocked.

Our Spam Prevention - deelip - 09-10-2006

Spamming is the greatest problem everywhere.
anyway it sounds good that you did something.
I never care about those stuffs for my forum.

Our Spam Prevention - Gurpartap - 09-13-2006

deelip Wrote:Spamming is the greatest problem everywhere.
anyway it sounds good that you did something.
I never care about those stuffs for my forum.

Much probability, you are losing the traffic you are unaware of.

Our Spam Prevention - tshugo - 09-13-2006

deelip Wrote:Spamming is the greatest problem everywhere.

I agree...I hate the trash Wink

Our Spam Prevention - woodtk - 02-22-2009

This may be one of the best episodes of Dirty Sexy Money. Fantastic music, unbelievable scenarios, pink ties, lies, lust and Joel Madden! Mistakes are made, everyone is playing everyone. I can hardly keep score. Did you see that ending coming?What Nola wants, Nola isn't necessarily getting. Nick finds out about Nola and Jeremy and practically beats Jeremy into admitting it. Little did we know that little tryst was something Letitia and Jeremy conjured up. Nola really lays into Jeremy, since she is about to lose everything. I almost feel bad for her. But I felt worse for Jeremy when he cries on Letitia's shoulder about actually having falling in love with Nola, the self-proclaimed "attack-dog".I love Karen's bangs.Nick and Tripp think they are being all clever when they feel they have thwarted Simon's takeover plan. Oh, but just you wait. Nick puts his foot down on this one and tells Tripp to cut her out. It actually works well for Simon because he can now make Karen depend on him totally. (One wonders, however fleetingly, if Tripp is setting Nick up to get him back together with Karen.)Nick is glib and gloating when he gets the judge to throw out the case against Letitia based on Nola's sexual proclivities.