Creating nameservers
Hi

I was wondering whether anyone knows how to create your own nameservers. I am talking about when you point a domain to a computer, you point it to a nameserver (for example, ns1.yourserver.com or ns2.yourserver.com). Hosting providers do this, for instance. Is there special software that you have to run or is this part of some kind server configuration?

Thanks

Zach
I am using godaddy domain admin panel to do this :-
1. Under "Manage Domain", select/click the domain you would like to set the nameserver.
2. On the right hand side, you'll see "Domain Details" section.
3. Go right down to the last section, you'll see "Domain Host Summary".
4. Click on it, and you'll see further information.
5. For the first time you set your own nameserver, it would show only "Click here to see details or to modify".
6. Go ahead and click onto it, you'll reach the section where it show 2 portions of this:-
Quote:Host: ___ .yoursite.com
IP Address: ___ . ___ . ___ . ___

7. Input your details as in NS1 for the first "Host" with the correct IP address, then NS2 for 2nd "Host" and the corresponding IP address.
8. The final step -- Save Changes. Wait for it to resolve -- DONE!

For godaddy, I noticed that it resolved pretty fast, normally within 24hours.

Hope this helps. Quite long winded though:p
Thanks llegent thats a lot of work.

I was wondering how you go about creating your own nameservers though. So if you have a domain, like domain.com, how do you create ns1.domain.com and so on?

Zach
Yeah most name servers run a program called BIND on unix. There is an equivelent for windows, but the name escapes me at the moment. I used to run my own nameservers many moons ago. They are not terribly hard to set up, nor are they very resource intensive. Recently though there have been security issues tied to improperly configured DNS servers.

I would not do it unless you really had a reason for it. Are you considering doing it? If so, why?
llegent Wrote:I am using godaddy domain admin panel to do this :-
1. Under "Manage Domain", select/click the domain you would like to set the nameserver.
2. On the right hand side, you'll see "Domain Details" section.
3. Go right down to the last section, you'll see "Domain Host Summary".
4. Click on it, and you'll see further information.
5. For the first time you set your own nameserver, it would show only "Click here to see details or to modify".
6. Go ahead and click onto it, you'll reach the section where it show 2 portions of this:-

7. Input your details as in NS1 for the first "Host" with the correct IP address, then NS2 for 2nd "Host" and the corresponding IP address.
8. The final step -- Save Changes. Wait for it to resolve -- DONE!

For godaddy, I noticed that it resolved pretty fast, normally within 24hours.

Hope this helps. Quite long winded though:p
I was also needing this actually.
thanks alot for the information.
the name servers are more than just bind though.

you'd need a static IP and as near 100% uptime as possible.
i think it's just easier to leave it to the domain registrars to do it.

for your $9 domain reg a year, it's a bit of a hassle to host it, unless you have a couple hundred domains to administer.