How to monetize domains with dashes or hyphens
RFL1986 Wrote:I wouldn't buy a hyphenated domain because it's so much harder to monetize them but the tips above are great for if you are interested in trying to get into this segment of the market. It's true that good names with hyphens can be valuable in lieu of more obscure domain names.
Unfortunately I've had the hyphenated versions before becoming interested in domaining.

They don't really concern me though because I know that with some time and effort, they can be developed and can as rank well as a non-hyphenated version... in fact many of the non-hyphenated versions of the domains I own are parked, which I would think provides even more of an opporunity to rank well with them.

I'm curious though... when you look at available domains, where the .com version is taken, do you think it's better to grab the non-hyphenated .net version OR is it be better to grab the hyphenated .com version.

In essence which is typically more preferred when it comes to demand for a domain name?
anim8tr Wrote:Unfortunately I've had the hyphenated versions before becoming interested in domaining.

They don't really concern me though because I know that with some time and effort, they can be developed and can as rank well as a non-hyphenated version... in fact many of the non-hyphenated versions of the domains I own are parked, which I would think provides even more of an opporunity to rank well with them.

I'm curious though... when you look at available domains, where the .com version is taken, do you think it's better to grab the non-hyphenated .net version OR is it be better to grab the hyphenated .com version.

In essence which is typically more preferred when it comes to demand for a domain name?

As a user, I try to go for the .net and then .org versions, b efore even trying the hyphen. But that is just me. I really dón't kn ow from the point of view of the domain expert what would work better.
I wish I had known this before I purchased a domain name with a hyphen in it a few days ago. Luckily it's only a personal site and I don't really care if people I don't send there go there although i'd never heard that a hyphen put people off a website that much. It does make sense now that I think about it though.
KyleMyers Wrote:I wish I had known this before I purchased a domain name with a hyphen in it a few days ago. Luckily it's only a personal site and I don't really care if people I don't send there go there although i'd never heard that a hyphen put people off a website that much. It does make sense now that I think about it though.

I guess I'm still not convinced that a dashed domain is all that bad from a monetizing point of view. But it's sounding like it all depends on how you try to monetize the domain name.

For a typical reseller, dashes would be a bad thing, but if you plan on developing content for a domain with dashes, then I would think that the value of the dashed domain would depend on the amount of incoming traffic, not whether it has dashes or not. Does this sound about right?
It is really a great thing to be in domain business.I just started this domain business and I am excited already. Anyway I have this two domain names:

admin edit: wrong section to post domains. Also, you ust have 15+ post count to post domains for sale. Finally, start your own thread for selling your domains. Thanks - Zach
I guess it does depend on the content, after all the hyphen is only bad for people randomly typing in your address to see what they find. In fairness unless you have "cars.com" or "sex.com" or something like that how many people are actually going to find your website from typing it in to the browser not knowing anything about it?
I would definitely go with a .net or .org before buying a hyphenated name. I think hyphens are generally not that great and having a non-.com extension is better than having to buy a hyphenated domain.
Ask yourself this question: How many domains with dashes or hyphen are successful? The very attractive and valuable ones do not have the hyphens or dashes in the names. You could look that up and find out for sure if it's true.
For sure. One of the only big ones that I know of off the top of my head is the video game site penny-arcade.com but I think successful hyphenated names are definitely in the minority of valuable ones to own.
yes,me too

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Google Domains pricing and supported TLDs Williamhawk 0 1,877 12-21-2017, 04:58 AM
Last Post: Williamhawk
  Which is a best TLD for country domains? fourwings 1 3,111 12-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Last Post: domainname
  Are .net and .org domains taken less seriously? Shortie861 5 4,361 12-14-2017, 12:33 PM
Last Post: domainname
  Premium .SOCIAL Domains? Williamhawk 0 1,950 11-15-2017, 05:30 AM
  Autonomous & Driverless car domains? Williamhawk 0 1,951 11-08-2017, 12:00 PM
  Google Domains pricing and supported TLDs? Williamhawk 0 1,943 11-03-2017, 12:05 PM
  Cost of renewing .com domains? Williamhawk 0 1,815 10-27-2017, 01:44 PM
  Google Domains pricing and supported TLDs? Williamhawk 0 1,653 10-26-2017, 01:05 PM
  Purchasing domains to hold Shortie861 1 2,813 03-09-2016, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Misti
  Using free domains that come with free hosting Shortie861 1 2,659 03-09-2016, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Misti