ICANN bitches
who gives them the right to rob our hard earned moola like that, what is it now 22c per domain.

what if i start one, ilynam fee more like it. but anyone know, why do they get this fee? its not like they own the internet. google own the internet, they should charge the fee.
mrlynam Wrote:who gives them the right to rob our hard earned moola like that, what is it now 22c per domain.

what if i start one, ilynam fee more like it. but anyone know, why do they get this fee? its not like they own the internet. google own the internet, they should charge the fee.

Not sure what you objection is. If your domains are valuable then the fee shouldn't hurt you. Isn't it tax deductible? It is a business expense, assuming you are in business.
obviously no one cares cos its so little, and yeah it is tax deductable, but why are they allowed take it? who decided they could
mrlynam Wrote:obviously no one cares cos its so little, and yeah it is tax deductable, but why are they allowed take it? who decided they could

The United States government did.

The department of defense used to run the Internet, although it was delegated to other organisations such as universities and the National Science Foundation. Around 1998 the department of commerce created ICANN, and ICANN decided they should charge a fee in order to sustain the Internet.

You should know that ICANN IS A NON-PROFIT... so they don't actually make money from those registration fees. You are definitely correct in saying that it's not a lot but that it adds up to a lot, and most of that money goes into an Internet fund for the development and maintenance of the Internet.

Hope that answers your questions.

Zach
And to add another answer to the OP's question, ICANN gets the fee from
the registrars, not the registrants. Registrars just pass the cost on to their
end-users.

It is easily understandable to get frustrated over things many people don't
generally comprehend. Then again, what do people generally care?
Is the money actually doing any good or is this a case of lottery money that doesn't yield what it was supposed to.?
Why don't you check?

http://www.icann.org/general/financial.html

Took me less than 10 seconds to find that.
Dave Zan Wrote:Why don't you check?

http://www.icann.org/general/financial.html

Took me less than 10 seconds to find that.

I read the fiscal 2008 and it really comes off more like a political speak which says a lot without committing to say anything. For me, it is not the best resource for justifying the ICANN charges.
lol yes...

And I love the way they put excellence in front of everything. Operations becomes "Excellence in Operations" lol.

It's Excellent.
It's definitely written by someone who specializes is avoiding specifics.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ICANN : FY12 Operating Plan and Budget Adopted by Board in Singapore is Now Posted chenmeixin5678 0 2,600 10-12-2011, 03:09 AM
Last Post: chenmeixin5678