Optinom?
What do you guys think of Optinom.com for domains? I have 2 domains registered there, but they don't seem that great. Although, they do have good customer support. I don't care too much because the domains were free the only problem is that they are non-transferable at all.Sad
They were free but they are NEVER transferable, or if you pay a fee can you transfer them?

I would never agree to something that took away my control over my business like that.
Hmm...I wonder if business is going well for them...like you said non-transferable...probably makes it a big hassle.
Slashmire Wrote:Hmm...I wonder if business is going well for them...like you said non-transferable...probably makes it a big hassle.

Optinom.com is only a reseller of domain names and I did find that they have pretty good rates. I know people here who have used their service and were not happy about support so maybe we all need a larger target group to verify their support services.

I believe anyone giving domain names for free will always restrict the transfer of domain names to another registrar. I also am convinced that Optinom must not have any control over that as it must be a registrar ordained deal. I dont agree with this policy but then thats a whole new discussion thread altogether wot?

I have been using sales.bookdomain.net for all my needs and suffice to say I have been incredibly happy. What I did notice immediately was that they both are resellers for the same registrar - I deduced that from the fact that they both use the same template for the registrations sites - LOL!.

Still, I like these guys coz they are courteous and are very prompt with their replies to emails. They are based in India so maybe time zone wise they work better for me, but in todays world I dont really think thats too much of a problem, do you?

I did a quick check on rates for a particular domain name, selecting "Check Availability in all Extensions" and wonder of wonders, got varying rates across different extentions. I suppose they all work their own margins based on the volumes they sell of different extentions or the rates the registrar offers them.
Hmm yeah quite interesting...well I guess that if they still exist, then they must be doing something well and have some good revenues Smile
the setup done once (setup well that is) and sell multiple times works very well with the domain name business. support does become more and more redundant for just domain names given all the tools available today.

but yeah im sure theyre doing well since theyre stilla round. good for them eh?

Slashmire Wrote:Hmm yeah quite interesting...well I guess that if they still exist, then they must be doing something well and have some good revenues Smile
Hold on. After my domain expires, can I buy the domain somewhere else? Like not transfer it but re-new it through a go-daddy account or something? It was my only choice because I didn't have a credit card then to pay.
-thoma- Wrote:Hold on. After my domain expires, can I buy the domain somewhere else? Like not transfer it but re-new it through a go-daddy account or something? It was my only choice because I didn't have a credit card then to pay.

This is how it works. Generally, 60 to 30 days prior to expiry of the domain name your service provider will send you a renewal notice. If you do not renew in this period, then most providers still hold on to it for periods ranging from 15 to 45 days. During this time it can still be renewed at the normal price. I do believe that most providers then put the domain name into a redemption database for 30 days. During this phase renewal is more complicated and far more expensive. Note: this practice was very wide spread but I dont think it is any more. A 5-day delete cycle ensues after which it becomes open to the world again for renewal.

I suggest renewing it and transferring it to a new registrar. If the domain has been paid for, no one can stop you from transferring your domain at any time.
Oh alright. It was free from a rewards program so I do not have much control over it. I can set name servers and everything by myself jjust can't transfer it Sad. I will be transfering once it has expired though Smile.