Reserving your name
If the case were to have your name as a website, what would happen with people with the same name??
What about if my name is John Smith, and there are around 250,000 John Smith that want to reserve their name. Then what to do??
Then the company JohnSmith has a case to fight, as long as the person john smith does not use that site to advertise JohnSmith or other beverage. He has got the right to the name.
There are no legal battle if it's two individuals, First come first serve, even if you're not "John Smith", a john smith got no rights in taking that off you, unless of course you use that name "person against" for profit reason.
e.g.

the site is talking about the person in question.

you approached the person to sell your domain.

And one, which i see it happening. you have no use of the domain name, a aign you're waiting for a buyer. - like parking and undeveloped sites
I still think that reserving the name, unless it is unique or very famous, doesn't make too much sense if its going to be just parked. But on the other hand, having a domain parked until someone wants to buy it, is not a bad idea.
I can see the attraction somewhat but I feel like attaching domains to names would never be something that catches on to a large degree. Anonymity is too big a factor for the internet as well (at least for the time being) and I couldn't see a lot of people wanting their name serving as their basis for net activity.
I think you should stay of "Names" with "surname" you will get sue and sigle person won't paid much. I you want to reg just reg your own name or stick with Just "surname" or "first name"
RFL1986 Wrote:I can see the attraction somewhat but I feel like attaching domains to names would never be something that catches on to a large degree. Anonymity is too big a factor for the internet as well (at least for the time being) and I couldn't see a lot of people wanting their name serving as their basis for net activity.

Yeah, that's true, but I was viewing the whole idea as in....like those people who put all their family photos online to share with family members. It'd be stuff they wouldn't mind being public apparently, because well, it'd be attached directly to their name.
Kitten Wrote:Yeah, that's true, but I was viewing the whole idea as in....like those people who put all their family photos online to share with family members. It'd be stuff they wouldn't mind being public apparently, because well, it'd be attached directly to their name.

I put family photos in public folders on Photobox so that friends and family can view them, but they don't have names on so they don't reveal my identity. I think very few private individuals would be comfortable to identify themselves in their domain name.
That's how I was going to respond as well. I think that social networking and variations of those kind of services will continue to be the most popular avenue for file-sharing with friends and family. An actual domain with private information is an interesting idea but I don't know if it would really catch on.
no. i think this Sad