Save The Internet
http://www.savetheinternet.com/

Quote:Congress is pushing a law that would abandon the Internet's First Amendment -- a principle called Network Neutrality that prevents companies like AT&T, Verizon and Comcast from deciding which Web sites work best for you -- based on what site pays them the most. If the public doesn't speak up now, our elected officials will cave to a multi-million dollar lobbying campaign.

How This Effects You -->
Past Abuses

AT&T Chief Whitacre Sticks to the Script
http://www.savetheinternet.com/blog/
I tried the link a few times, and it wouldn't open for me! I would like to read more about this too.
same here. Interested but link dosen't work..
I saw this post in so many forum on some past days.
anyway its intresting.
I am actually pretty worried about this. Any website owner/publisher should be concerned because you have the potential for the carriers to double-dip. It is a lot like the cable/satellite tv model which I don't like, except in reverse.

They are charging customers for internet access, then they want to charge publishers a premium to make sure customers get to their site as fast as possible.

It is a bad idea all around. It will fundamentally change the internet from an open world where anything is possible to a strictly commercial medium where everything must be purchased and nothing is readily available.
triumph Wrote:I am actually pretty worried about this. Any website owner/publisher should be concerned because you have the potential for the carriers to double-dip. It is a lot like the cable/satellite tv model which I don't like, except in reverse.

They are charging customers for internet access, then they want to charge publishers a premium to make sure customers get to their site as fast as possible.

It is a bad idea all around. It will fundamentally change the internet from an open world where anything is possible to a strictly commercial medium where everything must be purchased and nothing is readily available.

I totally agree. I think that people have to open their eyes before it is too late. It amazes me how much the governement continues to whittle away at basic rights.
The internet is already closing down a bit. I've noticed in the last year a tremendous change in the search engine results I get. Whereas you used to get a pretty weird mix of stuff, then we started getting things that were pretty close to what the search was intended to find, and NOW 80 or 90 percent of the first page results of anything I search on are commercial sites selling something. I'm not sure how much of that is due to the fact that there are more retail sites, and how much is due to the indie sites losing out in the rankings.
I remember seeing this some months ago; however, even if the possible problem seems big, I am somewhow skeptical that it could actually happen.
The links are working fine for me, which ones are you referring to?

Paula62 Wrote:The internet is already closing down a bit. I've noticed in the last year a tremendous change in the search engine results I get. Whereas you used to get a pretty weird mix of stuff, then we started getting things that were pretty close to what the search was intended to find, and NOW 80 or 90 percent of the first page results of anything I search on are commercial sites selling something. I'm not sure how much of that is due to the fact that there are more retail sites, and how much is due to the indie sites losing out in the rankings.

True, but search engine results are more focused now than they used to be because of better search mechanisms. I hated back in the day when searching Yahoo and getting results from some site that had NOTHING to do with what I searched for. Google is much better. No one uses Yahoo anymore to search and this is why. But I am sure that part of your statement is tru also, there may be a slow down in the web.
Things like this are very aggravating. I am an adult, I think I can figure out what is best for me. I can also tell when politicians are trying to help me or rob me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some of the games on the internet are targeted at young chitianshi520 0 1,106 03-19-2019, 02:47 AM
Last Post: chitianshi520
  A Domain Name Search Can Save You Hundreds benbenli 1 3,207 09-29-2012, 05:24 AM
Last Post: keith8385