Why Do Some Companies SHow All Info In Dns and Others Don't
Hi,
Sometimes when I have to research an IP address to find a spammers contact company, I'll find good information with plenty of details. Other times I find information that I can barely sort through. Why do some companies not reveal all the information and make it easily available? I know Godaddy sure puts all your info right there on the page for all to see!
It depends on a couple things. First there are ways to hide your whois info by paying extra money. Second it depends on how those people fill out their whois information.
I never pay pay for whois privacy. I just put an e-mail I don't really use. I don't care if people see my name and address. Anyway, I use mom's credit card most of the time so her name shows up...not me. Hihi!

I'll just hide my name in case I buy adult themed domains. lol.
Darkneoboi Wrote:It depends on a couple things. First there are ways to hide your whois info by paying extra money. Second it depends on how those people fill out their whois information.

... and also on internal company policy. Some companies have full disclosure and others just don't check what their admins do.

agent_orange Wrote:Anyway, I use mom's credit card most of the time so her name shows up...not me. Hihi!

I'll just hide my name in case I buy adult themed domains. lol.

Ahaahaha. Man that adult thread is really making me laugh everytime someone says something. But I mean come on, THAT last post ^^ was funny.

Zach
We are starting to build up a collection of the funniest things we have said on here, lol. I think we really should start that forum with them for people to read.
May be they are afraid of intellegence.
Whois information may help hacking or something like that.
Okay, thanks for the answers, because when I registered I would not have put all that STUFF about myself in the fields if I knew it was popping up right there in the who is pages. Oh, and yes, I see now there is an option to pay for privacy. I guess the companys that offer this do make sure to spread your info thick on the first page!Smile
My experience is that you can't get the information if you want it. However if you were to go and look for it on someone else you didn't really care about, you would have it all. Also, it all depends on who you are to start with. I find that if I go to register a domain most any place I try to register offers free whois privacy, so I usually put it on, but I definitely agree it's not worth paying for. If someone wants to find out who you are and they know very much about computers, they can probably find out. Unless you're from the underground, you probably really don't need that kind of privacy anyway.
For me I always register with whois privacy, because I have had some bad experience when some spammers just called me or posting me letters to blackmail me
NO there is a thing called WHOIS privacy.. you can hide your detail if you want.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non popular domain companies to recommend Shortie861 1 2,644 03-09-2016, 01:59 PM
Last Post: Misti
  .info $0.99 usboy 3 5,469 12-30-2008, 03:00 AM
Last Post: backstreetviking
  .75 .info domains at Registerfly triumph 10 8,016 10-27-2006, 12:39 AM
Last Post: triumph