Afternic Removes Adult and Gambling Domains
I got many names banned. I got many emails from them telling me which names would be removed. here is the latest:

Quote:Thank you for submitting your name(s) to Afternic for listing. We have made a commitment to our visitors to not show names which promote hate, sex, obscenity or self-destructive behavior, such as substance abuse, violence or gambling.
In addition, we cannot list names which violate trademarks, servicemarks, copyrights or other materials protected under US or international law.

Unfortunately, we cannot accept the following (2) name(s).

PokerCapacity.com
PokerPrepared.com

Our review process was conducted utilizing a process of both technology and human analysis. You may request an appeal for any of the domain names listed for removal. Simply send our customer service department a message with the domain name you would like to have reviewed by visiting Afternic Send a message to Afternic

We appreciate your business, and look forward to continuing to service your domain name needs.

Sincerely,

Afternic Staff

I guess the world is safer now that those two poker names are not listed... (?)

I definitely agree with you, goodkarmaco.

I know that you have been an afternic member for many years, and that you have contributed greatly to their community (one of the best posters in their community and you always gave great suggestions for their development). It's a shame that they decided to pull this on their members.

Free speech is important, or at least for one principle reason: Why should one person, company or institution decide for an entire community what is 'right', 'kosher', or 'good-values'. Although Afternic states that they "have no interest in censorship and that we fully support First Amendment rights to freedom of speech and expression", this obviously isn't the case.

They then say that you can go post your banned names on another brokerage, so that makes Afternic's move alright. Well it doesnt... If they ban it, it doesn't mean that others won't. And even if no one else bans them, it still dosen't justify Afternic's ban.

Let's take an example: if one country 'bans' people of a certain hair colour, and deports them, it doesnt make it OK just because other countries aren't doing it!

As for the issues that goodkarmaco mentioned, about sloppy recognition and scanning, it just makes things worse.

I am very disappointed with afternic. And you can quote me on that.

Do you think that the new owners will keep this ban or will they lift it? If you look at BuyDomains portfolio, it looks pretty 'clean' (according the Afternic's standards). The worst that I could find was "AdultPartnerFinder.com". No 'fuck' or 'sex' pr 'poker'.

Messages In This Thread
Afternic Removes Adult and Gambling Domains - by zach - 11-30-2006, 10:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spambot Email Domains May Be Banned Williamhawk 0 1,708 11-28-2017, 06:14 AM
Last Post: Williamhawk
  Best place to park domains? jsd 16 11,225 08-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Last Post: dimident
  Leading Domains Apprasals 123limelia 0 2,878 10-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Last Post: 123limelia
  Anyone tried Yahoo Domains? zach 45 35,024 08-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Nadal
  Economical Domains - Registration SALE! - .com $8.50 .net $8.00 .org $8.50 DomainAuctionsScript 0 3,164 06-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Last Post: DomainAuctionsScript
  Best Registrar for .fr domains? zach 1 4,693 02-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Last Post: zach
  Sell Domains fourwings 9 7,994 01-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Last Post: webdevdomains
  register NEW domains for only $4! annerz 8 7,031 10-26-2010, 06:54 AM
Last Post: agrajtech11
  Cheapest Domains agent_orange 22 14,770 09-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Last Post: franklinn
  Any experience with Buydomains/Afternic samnoyoun 3 5,016 03-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Last Post: mikestenger