Domain with Number as character?
Ok guys, it is not a new thing to us that there are some domains with only numbers in them, eg 123 .com, 163 .com ..etc . On top of this, there a tones of domain with numbers in them, eg biz365 .com, trade365 .com...etc. So how do these domain able to gain the recognition from search engine? I mean, they could not possibly contain "keyword" in them isn't it?? especially those with purely numbers only!

Anyone has good inputs?
llegent Wrote:So how do these domain able to gain the recognition from search engine?
Some numbers are actually popular search terms (such as dates: "1914"; "George Orwell's 1984", or 2006). But generally, as you assumed, they dont do well in search engines. But in the end, the domain name isn't the only place to place keywords, and a keyword loaded website can do very well also.

llegent Wrote:especially those with purely numbers only!

Just a note: short domains with numbers, e.g. NNN.com and NN.com, have a huge amount of value because they are rare. There are only 10 digits, but there are 26 letters in the alphabet. A 3 number .com currently sells at a minimum wholesale price of $4700.
I just did some research again today on one particular numeric domain :- 163.com . Unbelievable, it is enjoying google PR7, and alexa ranking of top100!! Looking at the meta tags, I am truly shock that it doesn't even have keywords or phrade for description,alt tag...etc. :eek:

Learning from this site, I guess the strategy is to offer something free and of value to visitors, the rest will comes. Don't spend too much on "SEO" thing, this site is a very good example!
llegent Wrote:I just did some research again today on one particular numeric domain :- 163.com . Unbelievable, it is enjoying google PR7, and alexa ranking of top100!! Looking at the meta tags, I am truly shock that it doesn't even have keywords or phrade for description,alt tag...etc. :eek:

Learning from this site, I guess the strategy is to offer something free and of value to visitors, the rest will comes. Don't spend too much on "SEO" thing, this site is a very good example!

META tags hardly do anything to help with SEO Wink
Offsite SEO is the most important part.

Quote:Ok guys, it is not a new thing to us that there are some domains with only numbers in them, eg 123 .com, 163 .com ..etc . On top of this, there a tones of domain with numbers in them, eg biz365 .com, trade365 .com...etc. So how do these domain able to gain the recognition from search engine? I mean, they could not possibly contain "keyword" in them isn't it?? especially those with purely numbers only!

Anyone has good inputs?

How about those brandable domains?
Google was never a keyword at the time, Alexa wasn't too..

The reason why they rank so well and are so great is that they were registered a long time ago and Google rank older sites higher than the newer ones.
llegent Wrote:Unbelievable, it is enjoying google PR7, and alexa ranking of top100!! Looking at the meta tags, I am truly shock that it doesn't even have keywords or phrade for description,alt tag...etc. :eek:

What really matters in pagerank is the number (and page rank) of incoming links. 163.com has 53,200 incoming links! Check it out:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&s...tnG=Search
Not to sure about the page rank aspect of using numbers but the bad thing about using numbers is the advertising outlook. Just say if your advertising your business domain on the radio like so many businesses do and your domain was "gr8money.com" This domain would be a nightmare for someone to figure out over the radio. Just my opinion.
i feel so newbie right now! And I'm not even!

I never even thought about a purely number domain. I guess I've just never come across one. But after reading this thread i did a quick search of random three number combos and they all had sites - not content sites, but they are registered domains.
Very interesting to me.
Interesting facts on the numbers Zach. Never really thought about the scarcity of numbers compared to letters.

That being said, I have never intentionally gone to a site with all numbers as the url in 12 years of using the internet, so I still question what the real value of them would be.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is a good domain name important? Eva520 11 7,605 02-20-2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: manoharparakh
  Why are domain names important? Williamhawk 3 5,604 01-13-2022, 07:07 AM
Last Post: harry_v
  Deciding on a domain name Shortie861 7 4,503 01-05-2022, 07:07 AM
Last Post: harry_v
  Unusual Windows AD Domain Issue JesseVoss 0 1,717 05-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Last Post: JesseVoss
  Domain change issues Rayancaleb 0 2,224 04-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Rayancaleb
  Problems with domain transfer Rayancaleb 0 2,013 04-11-2018, 07:48 AM
  Windows 10 issues after joining a domain Rayancaleb 0 2,093 02-24-2018, 10:48 AM
  Moving Domain Mail Issues Williamhawk 0 1,841 02-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Williamhawk
  SSL/TLS Domain Issue Williamhawk 0 1,966 02-01-2018, 12:42 PM
  Domain Issues Williamhawk 0 1,904 02-01-2018, 12:39 PM