Dreamhost.com
Grace Wrote:Dreamhost.com sounds like a wonderful service.

It is, I have been quite pleased with them.
I’ve used dreamhost almost since the first year I had a website. The actual first service I used was a free unlimited service called XOOM – then it began forcing ads and such, so I went to dreamhost.com in 99.

My 4+ years of service with dreamhost had many ups and several downs, yet I would agree with the rest of the posts in that dreamhost for $9.98 per year offers a great and untouchable service. The problem lays once you begin using over 30GB of bandwidth per month on a monthly continual basis- they will then shut down your account. This happened to me once and only one, I since moved off to a dedicated server with dual 120 gb drives and 1500 gb transfer a month.

My honest opinion is that if you are just starting off, even for a forum with say 200 members… dreamhost is a dream come true. But I must warn you, that the dream can quickly become a nightmare.
A shut down is a real ouchy. How long did it take you to sort all that out, and did it effect your traffic dramatically?
Mine was down less than 24 hours. Once it came back up, I emailed all my users and told them it was back. They are came back and traffic has been great since then. But I don't use that much bandwidth yet.
Ah ..ok ..good to know you were able to sort it. I'd have had a mild heart attack!
Um... it sounds pretty good to me. I just prefer the free services. I can do alot with some of the limited features most of them supply and still have a great site. I don't really mind not having a domain name at all as long as my site looks awsome I really don't care! lol
sub-zero Wrote:I use dreamhost.com and I love them. FOr $9.95 a month, I get 20GB of storage, 1TB/month transfer, unlimited domain name hosting and unlimited emails. I have been with them for 2 months and have no complaints.

http://www.dreamhost.com

Hmm seems very interesting.....I use site ground right now, (http://www.siteground.com) and for 5 bucks a month I get about the same thing except without the 1TB of monthly transfer. I will definately plan on checking them out a.s.a.p!
If you pay 2 years in advance you can get this same package for $7.95/month. I didn't do that because I didn't want to shell out that much cash on a new host provider, but if I like their service at the end of this first year, I will definately go that route and save $2 a month.
Bain,

How much are you paying for your dedicated server with Dreamhost? I am shopping for a dedicated box and would love to get some feedback on the price and experience.
Do you usually pay 2 months ahead?