Dreamhost.com
my take on web hosting, is to take yr time.

i spent abt a month shortlisting various hosts before settling down on one.

i was checking out dreamhost after hearing abt it from sub-zero, though my findings showed something different.

---
here's my number one tip for web hosting.
1) go to google
2) in the search bar, go with "host name problems" or "host name complaints"

you can find quite a lot of info there.

---
i went with bluehost.com and what impressed me was the CEO's blog, mattheaton.com.
i like the package of 8 domains, a number of parked domains, mySQL databases, fantastico and cpanel which help me admin and do installs easily.
it comes with Wordpress, phpBB, Joomla CMS and a bunch of other stuff.

if you're paying more than $8 for hosting, you're probably paying too much.
for that price you can expect to host abt 8 domains, abt 10-20 mySQL databases, get fantastico/cpanel, ideally have a good forum (at least phpBB), a quality blogging s/w like wordpress. a forum and a blog will take up one mySQL dbase each. and you can expect something like 50gb to 400gb of bandwidth, abt 1-5gb of disk space, at least 100 email accounts.

i'd also like to see a 7day or 30day money back guarantee.

--
some other comments:
hosts like kiosk.ws work on a MLM model. when you recruit, you can recurring income from your downlines, they give a whole bunch of stuff like autoresponders, scripts, sales letters to aid your efforts. downside: the premium package costs US$24.95/month, though you can host a bunch of domains.

i decided to i'd rather go with a less expensive account and build from there.

i also checked out lunarpages.com and midphase.com on a friends recommendation. but i found some bottlenecks in their features. they either offer unlimited domans, but only 1 mySQL database, or one domain and unlimited mySQL databases. both dont make sense to me. though unlimited domains could be good if you're just parking...

--
i'd stay away from godaddy hosting though. i paid abt $300 to host 6 domains.
the same thing at bluehost costs me abt $80/year.

godaddy also doesnt let you access their servers to install software. if you want blogs and forums, you have to pay extra and it could be a proprietory software.

i also have a reseller zoom account, and i get a whole bunch of space and bandwidth which i can resell, or use to create my own accounts. i can probably host abt 100 domains if the traffic is not too heavy. it comes with mySQL and other stuff.

--
if you'd like to check out the links (and sign up under my affiliate link Smile
they are:

Reseller Zoom: "http://www.hostingzoom.com/ref/a.php?id=429_7"

Dreamhost: "http://www.bluehost.com/track/weeliang/text1"

I use both these services and only promote products/services i personally use.
if you do decide to sign up with them, i'll help out with any installation issues (though it's quite user friendly.)
I've been with Dream Host for about two months, too. So far everything is going smoothly but I know I need a bigger sample. I've had to contact support just once and they were reasonably helpful. It's good to know about the shut down thing, though.
when you say podcasting for free, what would normally be the paid part of that service?
Dreamhost is great, my servers are all hosted on them from my friend who owns a huge server off of them. I <3 Dreamhost.
That's really good to know, good customers are the best of advertisement Smile How long have you been using them.
About 7 months now I would think. The speeds are great, I have no complaints.
Well, that's very good to hear, if you didn't have complaint and your visitors are happy...then I guess dreamhost is doing there job.
Wow! That is A LOT of space and transfer. Mostly every host comes with unlimited sub-domain and email, but that is still good that it comes with it. I have been looking for web hosts and I will consider them.
skyshiver Wrote:Dreamhost is great, my servers are all hosted on them from my friend who owns a huge server off of them. I <3 Dreamhost.

What`s the prices here? Smile
I will definately have to keep dreamhost in mind for the future. How are their VPS and dedicated servers?