Exact timing for domain expiry??
Hello everyone, this question has been mingling in my head. What is the exact time that a domain is considered expired?? Is it at 0000hour?? or is it the exact time where the domain was registered??

Or...domain registrars will be referring back to ICANN record for the exact timing to consider a domian to be "really" expired??:confused:
That is a good question. I imagine technically it is the time it was registered, and I would assume noone would expire it sooner than that. Although with all the arbitrary periods that exist after that, it could be anyone's guess.
I know that when you backorder at GoDaddy, before the grab they say:

Quote: If you no longer want us to secure this domain name, and it is a .COM or .NET name, you have until 10:00 a.m. MST on 08/04/2006 to re-assign the backorder credit. If the name is a .BIZ or .US, you have until 9:00 a.m. MST. For .ORG and .INFO names, the time you have available to re-assign the backorder credit can change without notice. There is generally a 24- to 48-hour period in which we can release your originally chosen name.

Not sure whether that indicates the droping time, or some kind of GoDaddy specific deadline.
I had a domain that expire today on GoDaddy but I paid for it this afternoon and it was the normal charge. So I did not learn much from that. Smile
In other words, you found there was some leeway with the deadline time? Or not?
There are millions of domains expireing every day. Check this out:

http://www.domaintools.com/internet-statistics/

Technically, i doubt that ICANN or reginal registries can delete them all at once. So presumably there is some leeway in deadlines.
Domains expires at the time that listed on whois server but it is free for others to register that domain . I heard it is freed after about 3 months of actually expiry date.
Three months after the expiration date for domains. That wouldn't work for milk! I didn't know that they had expiration dates that applied. So this is good information.
zach Wrote:There are millions of domains expireing every day. Check this out:

http://www.domaintools.com/internet-statistics/

Technically, i doubt that ICANN or reginal registries can delete them all at once. So presumably there is some leeway in deadlines.
Nice information there.
But i didnt think more domain deletes in comparision to the new registration.
That's so many deleted domains and new domains and transferred and active. I love that chart it was so informative and I had no idea it was millions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is a good domain name important? Eva520 11 7,728 02-20-2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: manoharparakh
  Why are domain names important? Williamhawk 3 5,612 01-13-2022, 07:07 AM
Last Post: harry_v
  Deciding on a domain name Shortie861 7 4,521 01-05-2022, 07:07 AM
Last Post: harry_v
  Unusual Windows AD Domain Issue JesseVoss 0 1,727 05-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Last Post: JesseVoss
  Domain change issues Rayancaleb 0 2,232 04-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Rayancaleb
  Problems with domain transfer Rayancaleb 0 2,018 04-11-2018, 07:48 AM
  Windows 10 issues after joining a domain Rayancaleb 0 2,098 02-24-2018, 10:48 AM
  Moving Domain Mail Issues Williamhawk 0 1,847 02-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Williamhawk
  SSL/TLS Domain Issue Williamhawk 0 1,974 02-01-2018, 12:42 PM
  Domain Issues Williamhawk 0 1,909 02-01-2018, 12:39 PM