Have luck in landing "One word" domain?
Hi everyone. Good day. I am always wondering if anyone here got the luck in having a single word domain? Like internet.com, news.com...etc ? Back then when domain name was still a very raw virtual property, how would anyone actually willing to pay a hefty price for this type of virtual property. Well, if I remember corectly, the domain proce was like USDxx range isn't it? Plus the yearly renewal fee, it would have comes to quite a sum.
There are a few .net and .org dictionary domains still unregistered.

At one point domain names were actually free. Network Solutions (which held a monopoly over the registration services at the time) managed to get approval to charge for the names (even though they received US$2 million funding from the National Science Foundation). So a lot of the google names were registered for nothing. They still had to pay renewel fees over time.
As Zach said there are still some single word .net and . org names left. You just have to find them and then determine if they have any meaningful value. Remember some arent picked for a reason.
I am a bit suprised that any single word is still available even on .net or .org. I would think with so many speculators out there someone would have picked them up. They must be very bad ones.
Nouns are generally gone, but there are loads of weird adjectives that haven't been registered. You probably wont get much type in traffic, since most of them have only ever been used once (and that's in the dictionary) Big Grin
Most of the time you have to pay big money to get great domains. I haven't tried to get any of the ones that will cost me a ton to get yet.
Try searching for expired domains.
How long after expiration can domains be purchased? I heard that can take quite some time. I prefer a quick phrase to a single word domain, but I can see the value in one word offerings. I would have to agree it's like mining for gold in twelve feet of snow and frozen ground; it might not be easy, but I have to agree there is likely some out there to be found.
My husband keeps saying we should go through the dictionary, word after word, to find a one word domain that no one has taken. I don't think it's worth the effort since even if we did get a one worder, it would have to be something totally stupid.
Single noun domains are extremely rare and only if you're luck, you'll find an expired one at a reasonable price. Actually, once a domain becomes expired, the owner has 30 days to renew it. If not, it will go into a redemption period and eventually, it will be deleted. The last that I heard, this could take between three to six months depending on registrar. Definitely, too long of a period. Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is a good domain name important? Eva520 11 7,644 02-20-2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: manoharparakh
  Why are domain names important? Williamhawk 3 5,606 01-13-2022, 07:07 AM
Last Post: harry_v
  Deciding on a domain name Shortie861 7 4,508 01-05-2022, 07:07 AM
Last Post: harry_v
  Unusual Windows AD Domain Issue JesseVoss 0 1,720 05-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Last Post: JesseVoss
  Domain change issues Rayancaleb 0 2,225 04-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Rayancaleb
  Problems with domain transfer Rayancaleb 0 2,016 04-11-2018, 07:48 AM
  Windows 10 issues after joining a domain Rayancaleb 0 2,094 02-24-2018, 10:48 AM
  Moving Domain Mail Issues Williamhawk 0 1,843 02-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Williamhawk
  SSL/TLS Domain Issue Williamhawk 0 1,967 02-01-2018, 12:42 PM
  Domain Issues Williamhawk 0 1,904 02-01-2018, 12:39 PM