Have luck in landing "One word" domain?
duck Wrote:My husband keeps saying we should go through the dictionary, word after word, to find a one word domain that no one has taken. I don't think it's worth the effort since even if we did get a one worder, it would have to be something totally stupid.

Just get a program to check domain avaliability in bulk, find a dictionary file, add .com at the end and process it.

But its probably already been done (at least be me Rolleyes)
zach Wrote:There are a few .net and .org dictionary domains still unregistered.

At one point domain names were actually free. Network Solutions (which held a monopoly over the registration services at the time) managed to get approval to charge for the names (even though they received US$2 million funding from the National Science Foundation). So a lot of the google names were registered for nothing. They still had to pay renewel fees over time.

I sometimes still wish they were free!:p I find it pretty difficult. I just started a new forum and found out a had to add an extra word like "place" or "lounge" for it to be available.
-thoma- Wrote:I sometimes still wish they were free!:p I find it pretty difficult. I just started a new forum and found out a had to add an extra word like "place" or "lounge" for it to be available.

Don't we all wish they were free!! :p Only in an utopian society, I guess.... Rolleyes
Well the one word domain could be very hard to find. I personally love the dictionary and all those words and the sound of them. Saying the word to yourself out loud might help.
It took me 3 months to think up one particular domain name I have and then another 12 months to get all the variations of it that I could! Aaargh!
grrr.biz is available. I don't know if anyone would want to actually use that kind of a domain name, and I'm not sure if it's a word really or not. Jolted.info and jolted.biz are both available. Maybe you should think verbs.
I don´t know if it is an urban legend or what, but sometime ago, I heard a guy registered the word "español" and nobody can use it, since he was asking huge ammounts of money just to end it. So, the websites that want to use it for their Spanish version, they have to use "espanol" without the little symbol over the n. One of the examples is CNN, because even though they are "CNN en Español" their url is "cnnenespanol"
Again, I´m not sure if it is just one of those urban legends!
Generally it took 3 months to be deleted.
But its yet hard to get because thousand of people are always watching when a domain get deleted.
I totally gave up on finding one word domains. I don't think I have the smarts to find a clever one. But definitely stay away from nouns because they're done for sure. I'm thinking verbs might be a better place to look.
lol

I love threads where people sell newly registered "one word domains". You could be an English linguist who writes dictionaries professionally, and have never heard of those words before Big Grin

Word2Action Wrote:I totally gave up on finding one word domains. I don't think I have the smarts to find a clever one. But definitely stay away from nouns because they're done for sure. I'm thinking verbs might be a better place to look.

Good idea. Verbs are a great place to look! Nouns are basically all gone, but i'm pretty sure that nouns are there. Past tense, present, infinitive.. you have a choice..

Zach

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is a good domain name important? Eva520 11 7,703 02-20-2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: manoharparakh
  Why are domain names important? Williamhawk 3 5,609 01-13-2022, 07:07 AM
Last Post: harry_v
  Deciding on a domain name Shortie861 7 4,516 01-05-2022, 07:07 AM
Last Post: harry_v
  Unusual Windows AD Domain Issue JesseVoss 0 1,721 05-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Last Post: JesseVoss
  Domain change issues Rayancaleb 0 2,228 04-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Rayancaleb
  Problems with domain transfer Rayancaleb 0 2,018 04-11-2018, 07:48 AM
  Windows 10 issues after joining a domain Rayancaleb 0 2,097 02-24-2018, 10:48 AM
  Moving Domain Mail Issues Williamhawk 0 1,845 02-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Williamhawk
  SSL/TLS Domain Issue Williamhawk 0 1,968 02-01-2018, 12:42 PM
  Domain Issues Williamhawk 0 1,907 02-01-2018, 12:39 PM