How Steve Jobs Got The AppStore.com Domain and Trademark For Free
I’m sure you’ve all heard about Steve Jobs resigning as CEO of Apple. Today, I read a post that stood out among the sea of farewells and Apple nostalgia. I really didn’t think I would be writing a post about Steve Jobs myself, but this is a great look at the impact domains, especially generic brands, can have on business.

In 2003, Benioff brought a few members of his executive team to visit Steve Jobs. The words of wisdom he would receive turned out to have profound implications for both Salesforce and Apple.

“You have a fantastic enterprise application here, but you’ve got to build an ecosystem.”

The Salesforce.com team took the advice to heart and developed a new technology called “App Store”, where users could buy enterprise applications and run them within Salesforce.

The project ended up launching under a different name, “App Exchange.” But, Benioff liked the App Store name so much that he purchased the domain name AppStore.com and corresponding trademark.

Years later, in 2008, Benioff was in the audience when Steve Jobs announced his own App Store. After the announcement, Benioff went up to Steve Jobs and offered the AppStore.com domain and the trademark rights as a gift, in appreciation of his help in 2003.

Apple now defends the trademark in court and uses the powerful generic brand to reign-supreme over other application platforms. Now that is a domain that is truly priceless.

About Eranet
Todaynic.com International Limited(Eranet.com) was incorporated in Hong Kong in 2005, directly under Todaynic.com, Inc. which was established in 2000. As one of the first ICANN (The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers), Verisign, HKDNR, and CNNIC (The China Internet Network Information Center) accredited registrars, Eranet is also a leading provider of services in domain name registration and web hosting.

Register domain names here
thanks for the story
Well before the app boom, the domains were worthless, now anything with 'app' in it is gold
Thanks for the story.But i guess he deserves it.
cool story, I never knew!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which are the best Free SEO tools for the website? hostitsmart 0 397 06-28-2022, 11:12 AM
Last Post: hostitsmart
  Free designs from a 17 year-old millionaire girl! berlinlife06 23 13,913 06-25-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: snisdift
  Why Domain Privacy Protection is Necessary? hostitsmart 0 376 06-25-2022, 11:28 AM
  Best Free Security Plugins For Your WordPress Website hostitsmart 0 502 05-17-2022, 10:23 AM
  full domain blocking JesseVoss 0 1,810 05-21-2018, 10:23 AM
Last Post: JesseVoss
  How much will a domain cost? Williamhawk 3 2,620 05-17-2018, 04:19 AM
Last Post: sinelogixtech
  What factors will determine the domain price? sinelogixtech 0 1,512 05-16-2018, 05:03 AM
Last Post: sinelogixtech
  DOMAIN DEVELOPMENT Williamhawk 1 2,292 03-09-2018, 04:57 AM
Last Post: Laxmi123
  Is the Indian Domain business about to explode Williamhawk 1 1,942 01-20-2018, 09:34 AM
Last Post: saurabh mathur
  How to assign port number to a domain name Williamhawk 1 2,198 01-10-2018, 06:55 AM
Last Post: saurabh mathur