If I could only get that first sale....
......I'd feel validated. Sad

Okay, I've only been doing this since 2/16/07.

Nevertheless, it's tough not getting anything.

Where do most of you get your sales? Afternic? Sedo?

Please share.
Make sure that you have a good domain.

Also, you may have to wait a while. I sell domains very often, but rarely sell a domain a few weeks after I have purchased it.

There's big money in this game, but you need to be patient and you need to be wise. Smile

If I were you, I would go ahead and list all your names at Afternic and Sedo, as well as any where else that you can, including in the sales section of Domain Social. The more exposure the better.

Zach
I always thought that this will need time to actually get into the business of selling it... but as I said many times, I am no expert whatsoever!
It was over two years before I sold my first domain. I had hundreds by that time. Sorry to say this.

Ever think about this.. For instance Afternic has millions of names for sale every single day of the year. How many sell in a given day? Less than a dozen. Just go look at home page and count how many names sold that day.

So if millions of something is for sale and only 5 or 6 sold in that day, what odds do you or I have of selling one?

About one in a million thats what.

Good luck.. you will need it!
So what everyone is saying is that there is money to be made, but not often is it made? It seems that you have to be lucky in purchasing a good domain that hopefully someone will desperately need!
Sure, only a few domains sell each day... but WHY is that?

Have a look at most of the domains on Afternic.. are they good? Do most of them even make any sense at all? Would at least 70% even interest a large corporation?

The answer to all of those questions is no: No, most of those domains wouldnt even sell for $20 (so why would anyone buy them for $2000+).

The key to domaining is having good domains. I personally know very successful domainers, and they only have about 6 names in their entire portfolio! These names are worth GOLD!

Now its unlikely that, starting off, you could get only six names and make a sale quickly. But you can still get pretty good names if you know your niche, market interests and trends.

Just dont register rubbish names! Only register good names. Then you have a chance of selling at a good price.

As goodkarmaco said, it took him two years. It personally only took me a few weeks, but there are a lot of variables involved (do you know a prospective niche, did you start domaining at a time with lots of possibilities, etc.). Some domains have inherent value, and some have prospective value. Both are avaliable.

Zach
oh man! That's not very encouraging. LOL.

goodkarmaco Wrote:It was over two years before I sold my first domain. I had hundreds by that time. Sorry to say this.

Ever think about this.. For instance Afternic has millions of names for sale every single day of the year. How many sell in a given day? Less than a dozen. Just go look at home page and count how many names sold that day.

So if millions of something is for sale and only 5 or 6 sold in that day, what odds do you or I have of selling one?

About one in a million thats what.

Good luck.. you will need it!
This is key. However, when you're just starting out, it is still hard to identify what is rubbish and what is not. A name may sound like a really brandable name even after all the research into niches, etc., but it may not be as brandable as one thinks.

Having said this, I'd like to see some posts on how to market the domain names on Afternic. Sedo and other places.

Some selling is luck, but I believe a lot of it is knowing how to sell and market. This is where I need help.

zach Wrote:Sure, only a few domains sell each day... but WHY is that?

Just dont register rubbish names! Only register good names. Then you have a chance of selling at a good price.

Zach
I do agree just like building a niche website, you can get niche domains. You'll do much better, and you could always try ebay, you'll domains will sell if they have page rank, you won't get a load of money from them, but you should still make out well.
I would try to get domains that are worth something or you can get them to that place. Trying to deal with a small number of domains might be easier. That's until you know what you're doing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My domains 4 sale glnpwl 0 2,016 12-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Last Post: glnpwl
  htmlshow.com for sale on sedo.com ogrebreak 1 2,344 07-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Last Post: david martinez
  domain for sale ogbuefi 3 3,921 07-01-2012, 03:43 AM
Last Post: skidkoy
  15 Post count to add your domains for sale ? trukolor 7 5,216 02-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Last Post: g4gamer
  For sale brand new Macbook pro 17$430..Nokia n95 8gb$250 arena 0 2,774 02-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Last Post: arena
  FOR SALE......Apple iphone 4Gb $200,8Gb $250,N95 8gb $350,Playstation 3(60 gb,80g) yasinphone 0 2,724 02-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Last Post: yasinphone
  For Sale:brand New Nokia N95,sidekick 3,apple Iphone 8gb danvikka 0 2,656 02-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Last Post: danvikka
  For Sale:brand New Nokia N95 8gb At Just $350usd mobile123s 0 2,544 02-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Last Post: mobile123s
  Best Sale Hoosierhunter 9 5,184 12-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Last Post: Ladybecklyn
  .Mobi domains on sale now triumph 5 4,173 09-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Last Post: triumph