Step by Step process for domain ownership transfer?
EXPERTs!! I wonder if there is any kind soul could help to list down the step by step guides for domain ownership transfer??Wink Well, it can help to serve as a reference for our members here! Not everyone is well verse on every single step especially there are lots of registrars out there, with their admin panel might be of different.

Anyone could hep to list down the steps for the registrar that they are familiar and well verse with?:p Thanks domainers!
Thanks for asking this question. I posed it in another thread because I think it could be so helpful!
I am in the proccess of transfering a domain right now, so I will try to give you an overview of how it works. It is really pretty simple:

Payment Using Paypal:
1. Buyer sends funds
2. Seller transfers

Paymeny Using Escrow:

1. Buyer and Seller agree to terms (as well as who pays the escrow fee: the buyer, the seller, or 50/50 split)
2. Seller chooses method to receive funds (cheque, wire transfer, etc.)
3. Buyer sends funds to escrow
4. Seller transfers domain
5. Buyer and Seller agree that domain has been transfered and Escrow sends funds to Seller

Domain Transfer:
Each Registrar has its own method. Generally, there is an option in the control panel. GoDaddy works like this:

A. Seller requests ownership transfer in control panel:
i. inputs new whois information
ii. inputs email address of the buyer
B. GoDaddy sends Email to Buyer with 2 codes (a transaction code and a security code)
C. Buyer logs into account, selects Accept Account Change and enters codes from email. Click next a few times (you might have to check out your shoping cart, which has a $0 value)
D. Domain is transfered
here are some emails that you get IF YOU ARE BUYING A DOMAIN (or otherwise getting it transfered to you):

Step B email:

Quote:* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
CHANGE OF REGISTRANT PENDING

Dear YOUR NAME,

The registrant of the following domain name(s):

Domain Here

has initiated a process by which you will become the registrant of the domain name(s).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You may be asked to log in to your account. To safely log in:

1. Go to the GoDaddy.com Web site. Be sure you're at the GoDaddy.com home page (instead of clicking on unidentifiable links, pop-ups, etc.).

2. Select "My Account" from the home page. Create an account if you do not already have one, or enter your log in name (or customer number) and password. Then, click "Secure Login."

3. Select "Accept Account Change," then provide the following information:

Transaction ID: CODE HERE
Security Code: CODE HERE

If for any reason this information is incorrect or you feel this change of registrant request was made in error, please contact us within 15 days at mailto:support@godaddy.com.

Sincerely,
GoDaddy.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Copyright 2006 GoDaddy.com. All rights reserved.

Confirmation email:

Quote:Dear Valued GoDaddy.com Customer:

The registration of the following domain name(s) has been successfully transferred to you:

DOMAIN NAME GOES HERE

Now's the time to make sure all the information associated with this domain is accurate and up to date.

Please log in to your GoDaddy.com account to view or change your domain details:

1. Go to the GoDaddy.com Web site. Be sure you're at the GoDaddy.com home page (instead of clicking on unidentifiable links, pop-ups, etc.).

2. Select "My Account" from the home page. Enter your log in name (or customer number) and password. Then, click "Secure Login."

You will then be taken to the Account Manager, where you may manage your products and services.

If you have forgotten your password, select the "retrieve my password" link on the log in page.

======================================================
AUTO-RENEW YOUR DOMAIN(S) NOW!

When you modify your option to Auto-Renew, you won't have to do it yourself when your domain(s) are about to expire.

1. On the Manage Domains page, select the domain(s) you wish to modify using the checkboxes.

2. Click "Auto Renew." If you selected multiple domains, be sure to enable the fields with the link on the right.

3. Select "Automatic Renewal Enabled" so that your domains will automatically renew.
======================================================

So once again, welcome and congratulations on a successful transfer of domain registration.

Sincerely,
GoDaddy.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Copyright 2006 GoDaddy.com. All rights reserved.
This is great reference indeed! With this email as reference, I believe new entrants to "domain" world will be searching for this guide instead of having to "wonder" and "guessing" around of what and how to do it!Smile

Although it might looks simple and generic, but just recall the first time when you just started to perform similiar transaction, well...you could be wondering what to do. Now new players with no experience in domain ownership transfer has a STEP BY STEP GUIDE of what to do! Big Grin(including myself :p)

Thanks.
Many thanks. I actually printed out the thread for easy reference! It's this sort of information which can make a forum great!
No problem Smile Glad it helped and anwsered your questions!
This is really usefull thread for me.
special thanks to zach.
I had a domain registered with a registrar which I will not name where the transfer process was soooooo bulky and complicated, we finally just let it expire and then re-registered in synchronized fashion. Not the best way to do it, but we had been unable to do an actual transfer.
This is a good guide Zach. Thanks!

1.) How soon can I push a domain?
2.) Is it free to create a goddady account?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is a good domain name important? Eva520 11 7,776 02-20-2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: manoharparakh
  Why are domain names important? Williamhawk 3 5,619 01-13-2022, 07:07 AM
Last Post: harry_v
  Deciding on a domain name Shortie861 7 4,531 01-05-2022, 07:07 AM
Last Post: harry_v
  Unusual Windows AD Domain Issue JesseVoss 0 1,732 05-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Last Post: JesseVoss
  Domain change issues Rayancaleb 0 2,236 04-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Rayancaleb
  Problems with domain transfer Rayancaleb 0 2,025 04-11-2018, 07:48 AM
  Windows 10 issues after joining a domain Rayancaleb 0 2,106 02-24-2018, 10:48 AM
  Moving Domain Mail Issues Williamhawk 0 1,853 02-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Williamhawk
  SSL/TLS Domain Issue Williamhawk 0 1,979 02-01-2018, 12:42 PM
  Domain Issues Williamhawk 0 1,913 02-01-2018, 12:39 PM