The LifeCycle of a Domain
Hey folks,

I'm still struggling with the terms and meanings of a dropped/expired domain. I found this
diagram recently http://www.wsmdomains.com/help/lifecycle.html yet I'm still confused. Can we talk about this? If I bid and win an expired domain, is there still some possibility that I'll lose it if the original owner comes forth and renews it? I'd feel much more confident to get this straight once and for all.

Have a mindful day,

Tanya
We can talk about what ever you like Smile

The domain life-cycle is a bit convoluted (well at least it looks that way from the diagram). But to simplify things, domains usually enter one of three phases: Registrar Hold, Redemption Period, and Pending delete.

As a general rule: "expired" domains are domains that have gone past their registration (domains that have not been renewed) and "dropped" domains are domains that have both gone through their registration and then been deleted (so they are avaliable).

When you back order a domain, you usually get it once it has been deleted, or dropped.It's a first come first serve operation. But the domain industry has changed a lot over the last few years, and now the proccess differs per registrar.

Now a days (wow that makes me feel old), domain registrars sign exclusive contracts with drop companies. This keeps the catching proccess in a closed loop. For example, network Solutions signed such an agreement with SnapNames:

If I register a domain at network solutions, and let it expire, the domain will go from Active, all the way to Pending Delete, and then it will be let go. BUT before it is really deleted, Network Solutions checks to see if anyone placed a back order at SnapNames.

If someone did place an order, it goes into auction, if not, it gets deleted (at which point other drop services get their chance to try to 'catch' it).

So, domain names are taken into auctions only when they are deleted, or just before they are deleted. In any case, have no fear, if you pay for the domain, there is NO CHANCE that you will lose it through a technical mechanism of the domain deletion/renewal proccess.

Zach
zach Wrote:For example, network Solutions signed such an agreement with SnapNames:

Just an FYI, Zach: Network Solutions recently dropped their partnership with
SnapNames and formed one with eNom to launch Namejet. (.com, of course.)
Overall, though, your explanation is right on the money.

I actually wrote about this also, but I'll give a few points to add to what Zach
already explained. When to possibly acquire a domain name depends on its
current phase, the line "status" will give you a clue.

If it says Inactive and it's expired, check with the registrar. If it's Redemption
Period (com/net) or Pending Delete: Restorable (info/biz), that's when you go
to a backorder service that'll try to catch the name for you.

Tell you what, Tanya: who's the registrar that's currently got the name?
:eek: I'm gonna need to sleep on that, zach.....

And read it a few more times, too! It would sure be nice if the industry imposed some uniformity (among registrars) in this regard, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. I guess your final sentence tells me all I really need to know anyway.

Once again, thanks for the enlightenment, Zach.

T
Dave Zan Wrote:Just an FYI, Zach: Network Solutions recently dropped their partnership with
SnapNames and formed one with eNom to launch Namejet. (.com, of course.)

Thanks for the update Dave. I didn't know that at all... it sounds very exciting.

Tanya, by checking the status Dave is referring to the relevant line of the whois.

Zach
Hi Dave,

I didn't really have a specific domain/registrar situation at hand when I posed the question, it was just for general knowledge. Next time I'm struggling though, I'll check the WHOIS and see if that makes it clearer. Thanks for the tip.

Tanya
Thanks for the tip.never knew that

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is a good domain name important? Eva520 11 7,704 02-20-2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: manoharparakh
  Why are domain names important? Williamhawk 3 5,609 01-13-2022, 07:07 AM
Last Post: harry_v
  Deciding on a domain name Shortie861 7 4,516 01-05-2022, 07:07 AM
Last Post: harry_v
  Unusual Windows AD Domain Issue JesseVoss 0 1,721 05-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Last Post: JesseVoss
  Domain change issues Rayancaleb 0 2,228 04-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Rayancaleb
  Problems with domain transfer Rayancaleb 0 2,018 04-11-2018, 07:48 AM
  Windows 10 issues after joining a domain Rayancaleb 0 2,097 02-24-2018, 10:48 AM
  Moving Domain Mail Issues Williamhawk 0 1,845 02-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Williamhawk
  SSL/TLS Domain Issue Williamhawk 0 1,968 02-01-2018, 12:42 PM
  Domain Issues Williamhawk 0 1,907 02-01-2018, 12:39 PM