Trick Question For You, Just For Fun
LyricB Wrote:Good point. I remember once seeing an ad in Writer's Digest which pleaded with editors and writers to remember that the word "Kleenex" is copywrited.

That's trademark. Wink

The article below may also interest you:

FAQ Search Results

Quote:Marks are adjectives, and should be used only as such. Marks never should be used as nouns or verbs. Nor should marks be pluralized, or used in the possessive form. Non-adjectival uses of marks, over time, can result in genericness, or a finding of unintentional abandonment, even when such use emanates from the public, rather than a trademark owner.

Kleenex is an example of how the public has made a generic noun of the Kleenex trademark to describe facial tissues. Using the word, "brand," after a mark, and before the generic product name, helps guards against non-adjectival use. Adding a generic term for trademarked products and service marked services, helps as well. For example, to help guard against the public continuing to use the word Kleenex as a generic noun for a facial tissue, Kleenex has started making themselves known as Kleenex brand facial tissues. This makes the trademark Kleenex an adjective for the brand of facial tissues.

Goes to show trademark issues aren't as simple as some might think.
Yes this is such an intresting article. It is no wonder the artists who make the CDs and such are so mad all the time over the trakemark issue. In my own family we have had similar issues over trakemark infringement and rights of the one who owns said trademark. Echos
It's funny how the public can take an actual name of something and turn it into an all-inclusive term.
It's called branding. It mostly happens with new products. The first successful maker of said product becomes the household common-name.

Anyone know the generic word to use instead of these trademarks?

Astroturf
Kleenex
ViceGrips
Pampers
Xerox Copy
Google it
Podcast
so, is realtor generic for seller?
oljiaoyi Wrote:so, is realtor generic for seller?

Selling what?
No, realtor isn't generic because it's an actual term for people who are licensed a certain way. Right?
A good piece of information. Every day I take away a little bit more from this site. Very glad I popped in on this discussion. Thanks.
I'm with you, scalamedia. Every time I click on a thread in this forum I learn something new.
In case anyone missed it, NO, Realtor is NOT generic. It is a trademark for a certified, licensed, whatever member of a group.

as for these:
Quote:Anyone know the generic word to use instead of these trademarks?

Astroturf
Kleenex
ViceGrips
Pampers
Xerox Copy
Google it
Podcast

"Astroturf" plastic carpeting? indoor/outdoor floor covering? Not sure exactly.
"Kleenex" facial tissues
"ViceGrips" locking wrench
"Pampers" diapers, of course
"Xerox" copy machines
"Google" search engine
"Podcast" digital broadcast